a/f sensor location? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : a/f sensor location?

jurgs2007
05-01-2008, 05:12 PM
i was wondering where the A/F sensor is located so i can put in a pigtail for a gauge. could anyone point me in the right direction? (yes, i know its under the hood.)

KhellendrosxS
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
On the downpipe before the cat.

The a/f sensor you have isnt going to tell you diddly squat because it is relying on a stock narrowband (1volt) signal. To get an accurate reading of your a/f ratio you need a 5volt wideband O2 sensor which are not cheap.

It looks like you arent running any performance mods that necessitate a wideband unit but just know that all you are getting out of that a/f gauge is a pretty light show. Its just going to tell you that you are dead on stoich (14.7-1) or rich or lean (over or under 14.7) but not by how much.

jurgs2007
05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
i know its not going to be accurate, i just needed an extra gauge to fill my pillar pod, and i didnt know of anything else i would need. i got oil pressure and volts also. but i looked at the downpipe and only see one sensor, and it has no removable plugs to hook up the pigtail i purchased. unless this is the wrong one.

AaronGTR
05-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Get a trans temp, oil temp, or fuel pressure... any one of those would be more useful and actually tell you something you'd need to know if and when you start doing more performance mods.

As for the sensor location, it's actually on the rear exhaust manifold, right before the flange for the down pipe. It's a long round silver thing with four wires coming out the end, and there is a plug on the end where you can plug in the pigtail in between the sensor and the main harness. btw, it's called an oxygen sensor, not a/f sensor. ;)

jurgs2007
05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
i had a fuel pressure gauge before, but it just seemed to be too much of a hassle to hook up for the time being. and on top of that, i really dont plan on doing too many mods, just the basics. i want it so still be a reliable daily driver.

jurgs2007
05-01-2008, 08:46 PM
and oil temp really isnt going to do me much good as far as i know, except in track cars, because oil temp generally sticks around the same temp as engine temp (close atleast)

KhellendrosxS
05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
trans temp would be a good one to make sure you arent forming varnishes on your plates.