2001 Alero dying while driving [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Alero dying while driving

lemonowner
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
My 2001 Alero is dying when I'm driving. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I"m going. It's stopped while going 20mph and 60mph, it's just turn off. I've taken it to a mechanic and an electrician, they are both stumped. They've tried putting on different parts and think it's not mechanical, has to be something electrical. I'm really at my wits end with this stupid car. Any input would be appreciated. I have a very good mechanic but even he's stumped. THe car always starts right back up after it's shut down, has not shown signs of overheating, etc.... It has a recently new fuel pump and gas pressure regulator. None of those are the problem.

Thanks, Becky

BlackJack
05-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Try having your ignition (key) cylinder and connections checked. Not garanteed to be the problem, but many Alero owners have experienced this.....

Concept: the switch in the steering column gets worn out, you hit a bump, or turn your wheel just the right way, and it disconnects the ignition as if you shut it off, but only for a split second.

This happens a lot particularly with people that have heavy "jinglies" hanging off their key rings, putting too much downward pressure on the ignition switch over a long period of time.

Remember, this doesn't mean that is the problem, but I'd suggest starting there.