Seafoaming an Ecotec [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Seafoaming an Ecotec

Panacea
05-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Does anyone know how I would go about seafoaming an ecotec engine? It's the 2.2l

Rich
05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
www.ecotecforum.com if no one here can help.

Panacea
05-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks, Rich. I searched on their site and there wasn't a whole lot. I don't believe the ecotec has a PCV valve and so I can't siphen it through there. I have no idea what a brake booster line is, let alone know what it looks like. It just sounds like something scary that I don't want to mess with. lol Perhaps Spyhunter will chime in with some help.

awfulwaffle
05-04-2008, 01:12 AM
brake booster can be found under teh master cylinder. It's a black round box, with a vacuum hose connected to it. Just detach from the booster (it may take a while to wiggle it off, but when you get it you'll hear a hiss) and that's your vacuum line.

(All this is based on the assumption that the 2.2 GA's have the vacuum booster in the same place as the 3.4 GA's)

Correct me if I'm wrong

hass
05-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Can someone do a HOW TO: On Seafoaming your car?
There's tons of topics on it, but nobody seems to have a definite answer.

I poked around for it the other day when I seafoamed my car...
I read a few spots about it, figured out the best way to do it.. and when my car stalled it scared the **** out of me fearing hydrolock.

so.
A real how to on seafoam would be nice
:P

awfulwaffle
05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
should have had a friend keep the rpm's up
that's what i've always done.
And feed the liquid into the vacuum line VERY slowly.

shouldn't really need a how-to beyond that.

Panacea
05-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Can someone do a HOW TO: On Seafoaming your car?
There's tons of topics on it, but nobody seems to have a definite answer.

I poked around for it the other day when I seafoamed my car...
I read a few spots about it, figured out the best way to do it.. and when my car stalled it scared the **** out of me fearing hydrolock.

so.
A real how to on seafoam would be nice
:P

On the GT you can just suck it through the PCV Valve. Suck about 1/3 can through there, and either suck it slowly, or rev the engine with your other hand so it doesn't stall (you could always have someone give it a little gas). Keeping the engine around 1k is all you need to keep it from stalling. Once you suck 1/3 of the can through turn the car of for 5-15 minutes. Start the car back up and idle it for 5-10 minutes, or go driving around.

hass
05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Am I disconnecting the Line from the PCV?
Or removing the PCV from the rocker cover and pouring in there?

I figured the vaccum line was the one that ran when you leave the PCV on the rocker, and disconnect the hose from the PCV. So that it runs in to the UIM. [because it said make sure it feels to all cyls, and if I put it in the rocker cover it seems like it only runs to left side]
But as soon as I disconnect the hose, I hear a pressure loss then the engine runs really rough and dies in about two seconds.
So I assumed that there was no way it could have been that method.

Btw.
It also said to dump 1/3 of a point in the crankcase while the engine is running then shut it off.

As soon as I unscrew the oil cap the engine runs REALLY rough and shakes a hell of a lot and nearly stalls.
I also do believe something is going on inside the car on the dash, because when the cap comes off I hear a buzzing noise.
But I'm afraid to leave it off when the engine is running like that to check the dash and see what's making the noise.
Probably low oil pressure I think.

I didn't put any in the crankcase as a result =]

Or was I supposed to turn the engine off and dump it in?

Waaaiiiit a second.
You're saying suck it through the PCV valve... as I reread your post.

So I remove the PCV and lower the PCV in to seafoam and it will suck it in?

Cormaster
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
lol I seafomed my GAGT and the car stalled. The guy who told me how to do it said that was normal. after it stalled i let the car sit for 10-15 minutes, turned it back on, nice james bond smoking effects, and after doing it I noticed a considerable performance increase. I also put half a can in the gas tank and half a can in the oil, and then changed the oil.

I also have an Ecotec so I would like to know how to do it as well.

Panacea
05-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Where's Spy when you need him?

Panacea
05-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Bump... Anyone?

Pauljp
05-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I've never actually done this, I don't even know if you can buy seafoam in Canada. Anyone Know?
But I've done a lot of reading on the subject and this is what I've learned.
You take 1/3 of seafoam and pour it into an almost empty gas tank, then fill it so it mixes well. This will clean your injectors, pistons, valves and such.
Take another 1/3 and with the car off, pour it into your crankcase (oil cap) this will severely dilute your oil, so drive it around hard (revs up) for approx 10-15 miles and get your oil changed immediately.
The last 1/3 of the bottle will be used through the vacuum hose. unplug the hose from the pcv valve, start the car and have someone keep the revs up to about 1500 or so. Slowly let the seafoam get siphoned into the hose. Don't totally emerse the hose into the container... do it slowly, bit by bit, steady flowing into the vacuum hose. The car is going to chug and cough, but keep the revs up and it should be ok. This is going to cause a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust, so make sure you are outside and preferably in the dark so not to alarm your neighbours or fire department.
All of this is explained on the seafoam container. And if I can find any of this stuff I will definitely try it. Maybe a quick tip to the States is in order for me soon.
This is just my theory on this as I've said, I've never actually done it.

Midnight GA
05-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I've never actually done this, I don't even know if you can buy seafoam in Canada. Anyone Know?
But I've done a lot of reading on the subject and this is what I've learned.
You take 1/3 of seafoam and pour it into an almost empty gas tank, then fill it so it mixes well. This will clean your injectors, pistons, valves and such.
Take another 1/3 and with the car off, pour it into your crankcase (oil cap) this will severely dilute your oil, so drive it around hard (revs up) for approx 10-15 miles and get your oil changed immediately.
The last 1/3 of the bottle will be used through the vacuum hose. unplug the hose from the pcv valve, start the car and have someone keep the revs up to about 1500 or so. Slowly let the seafoam get siphoned into the hose. Don't totally emerse the hose into the container... do it slowly, bit by bit, steady flowing into the vacuum hose. The car is going to chug and cough, but keep the revs up and it should be ok. This is going to cause a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust, so make sure you are outside and preferably in the dark so not to alarm your neighbours or fire department.
All of this is explained on the seafoam container. And if I can find any of this stuff I will definitely try it. Maybe a quick tip to the States is in order for me soon.
This is just my theory on this as I've said, I've never actually done it.
I've done it a few times and thats pretty much how it's done. I find it a little easier to use the brake booster hose for the intake. You can fit most funnels in that hose. Having the hose off will cause it to idle very high, which eliminates the need to have someone hold the gas pedal. You can put your hand over the funnel until you start your pouring so it's not revving too much, and pretty much control the idle by how fast you pour. Be careful not to pour too much in at once. You don't want any of the cylinders to suck in more fluid than it can compress. I've also been told that it can foul up the spark plugs so I usually wait till I'm ready to put in new ones. As far as in the crank case, this stuff looks thin like water so I'm a little weary about pouring it in the crank case at all, let alone driving it hard with that stuff in it, but thats just my opinion.

Panacea
05-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Okay, I know to seafoam, I just don't know where the brake booster line is. Can someone please take a picture and tell me where the brake booster line is so I can run the seafoam through it.

cardude007617
05-10-2008, 08:03 PM
dont you have a little more time then 15 miles when you pour it into your oil? i was told about 90...

Panacea
05-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I Have an ecotec, not a GT. Hence the title "Seafoaming an Ecotec..."

Paul, I usually put the seafoam in the crankcase and drive it for a week, then change the oil. There is no recomendations on the can as to how long you have to wait to change the oil.

cardude007617
05-10-2008, 09:05 PM
thats what i thought.....do it all the week of your oil change... lol

Pauljp
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I Have an ecotec, not a GT. Hence the title "Seafoaming an Ecotec..."

Oh yeah, sorry. I've deleted the image of the 3400 GT.
My bad !!!

awfulwaffle
05-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, it's a cav engine bay, but the engine's the same and the booster should be in about the same place. Brake booster line is the hose that is clamped onto the booster.

Panacea
05-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, it's a cav engine bay, but the engine's the same and the booster should be in about the same place. Brake booster line is the hose that is clamped onto the booster.

Thank you; however, do you have a closer pic you could get? What I see circled is the brake resevoir and some other lines. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know where the "booster" is. :(

awfulwaffle
05-11-2008, 10:29 PM
K here it is. I actually have no idea what car or engine this is from, but it should look very similar. Outlined in blue is the vacuum booster, which will be directly behind or right next to the master cylinder. In red is the vacuum line that you're disconnecting and feeding the Seafoam into. You may be able to trace it to the intake manifold (as you can in the picture.) I don't have enough experience with the ecotec to know for sure. The line won't be connected in exactly the same place, but there'll only be one line so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.