Loose outer Tie Rods [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loose outer Tie Rods

mrtorino
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Anybody replaced their tie rods in a 2002 GA?
Both of mine are loose and I was going to attempt this myself. I will have it professionally aligned after my work.
It doesn't seem to hard to do but I thought I would ask the masses if anyone has done them and if anyone has any pointers.

Thanks
Marques
Roseburg
Oregon

AznGA
05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
What are the symptoms?
How did you find out they are bad?

ryanbgb22
05-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I was all set to do mine, but then i had to have the steering rack replaced, and they ended up just doing it. Mark the threads on the rod when you take the old ones off, (I'm pretty sure they just twist off), and twist the new ones on, and get an allignment.

Like I said, I didnt do mine, but I was told the outers were very simple when I was about to do it.

Lab Rat
05-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Looks simple but the ends and locking nut will be one rusted mass of hell. PB Blaster will be your friend. And don't be afraid of a little heat. I basically destroyed one trying to get it off and just ended up doing both. The alignment guy loves to work on my car now since the ends have been replaced within the last 1000 miles.
And to answer one of your questions, I ended up using vise grips and a big breaker bar to break it loose. Good luck.

juanvan
05-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes to the PB Blaster. that stuff is golden..
I don't know about the heat, as it will warp the metal in the cooling, unless you were going to change the whole thing.

But with tape, I marked mine - you could count them, and just put them to the right place again. I suggest breaking the bolt prior to taking off the ball joint off. This makes it easier and less chance of knuckle busting your hands.

I used wrenches only.. I think I used a line wrench on the bold it self and a 14 open end on the post.

mrtorino
05-08-2008, 03:21 PM
What are the symptoms?
How did you find out they are bad?

There are a couple such as left to right wheel play when the car is on a lift. I also had it looked at by a tire shop. I also hear a slight clunk when turning and going over an elevation change. That might be my wheel hub (I am replacing one of those as well top to bottom wheel play).

AznGA
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I also had a front suspension clunking issue after bumps. One shop told me it was tie rods. I took it to anther shop and they showed me how one of the busings for the control arm was worn out. With a new busing, the clunking is gone.

ryanbgb22
05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Can you give me more information on what needed to be done? I think that is the problem I'm having too - the control arm bushing. How much did it cost etc?

AznGA
05-08-2008, 07:38 PM
You know what the control arm looks like right? There is a bushing between that and the bodyframe. So the noise is those 2 hitting each other with the worn out bushing. My driver side one was bad while the passenger one was fine. It was $180 at Midas including everything.

gectek
05-08-2008, 11:44 PM
also clunking can be caused by bad lower ball joints...