car hesitating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car hesitating

ramairgt19
05-06-2008, 08:36 PM
hey cars my car is hesitating when i step on the gas or when i am idling at a light for example.what could it be ...car doesn't feel likes its going to stale rpm needle is fine like it doesn't go up or down so i was thinking my spark plugs? need a tune up? anyways help please thanks

cardude007617
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
seafoam the bish

ryanbgb22
05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, possibly clogged cat (but i doubt it). Start with the easy stuff first, ie seafoam as stated above.

cardude007617
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
any other symptoms of a clogged cat?

ramairgt19
05-07-2008, 06:55 AM
sorry guys not good with cars whats a seafoam? clogged cat thats my muffler system

stewartfn18
05-07-2008, 07:18 AM
go to napa. ask for seafoam. in the gas tank it works wonders. Im not sure about putting it in the engine though. ive never done it but its probably just as good.

juanvan
05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I changed the gas to 91 and it got rid of that - also the 10% Ethenol really does you No good in your car, so try to stay away from it..

stewartfn18
05-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I changed the gas to 91 and it got rid of that - also the 10% Ethenol really does you No good in your car, so try to stay away from it..

actually, 91 or "premium" does nothing for a stock tuned pcm so its a waste of money.

juanvan
05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
actually, 91 or "premium" does nothing for a stock tuned pcm so its a waste of money.

Does nothing me butt - Got rid of pining in one trucks engine, got rid of the hesitation in my car - Take a glass jar and get some 87 vs 91 take a look at the difference. Also the ethanol separates when sitting.

ramairgt19
05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
also feels like i am losing horsepower like at a light when it turns green like it not as quick as it used to be....i think its a fuel pump you think that could be the problem? or you think exaust?

surreal_awakeni
05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
the 10% Ethenol really does you No good in your car, so try to stay away from it..

It's kinda hard to avoid this. Everywhere I go around here, all the pumps are labeled 10% ethanol. Perhaps some areas of the country still have 100% gasoline available since our ethanol production is not up to speed yet.

Does nothing me butt - Got rid of pining in one trucks engine, got rid of the hesitation in my car - Take a glass jar and get some 87 vs 91 take a look at the difference. Also the ethanol separates when sitting.

Ethanol does tend to separate, and also gel a bit during periods of inactivity during cold weather. It can cause problems and possible damage to carbs and such. Unfortunately, we're still learning with ethanol, because we don't have a history to go on.

also feels like i am losing horsepower like at a light when it turns green like it not as quick as it used to be....i think its a fuel pump you think that could be the problem? or you think exaust?

Something to consider is that as the ethanol content of our fuel increases, the energy content decreases. Gasoline contains 125,000 BTU of energy per gallon. Ethanol only contains 84,600 BTU of energy per gallon.

Edit: As a reference, 10% Ethanol / 90% Gasoline contains 120,900 BTU per gallon.

LukeL
05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Most likely moisture in the fuel system. Before you change plugs, wires, coil pack, etc... go to the Gas Station or Auto Parts store. Get 2 bottles of Iso-Heat (That is what it is in the States). It is Isopropal Alcohol.

Make sure you have at least 3/4 a tank of gas and put the 2 bottles of the Iso-Heat (or equivalent) into the tank you have now. Run it normally and it should help.

THIS WILL NOT HURT YOUR ENGINE. And, if it does not work you are out what 5 bucks?

As a general tip for everyone - this stuff works great on all Fuel Injected Motors with 87 Octane (Possibly better Octane but I have not tried so I would rather not conclude). I have used it for years before every winter. It will be good for about 6 months and I do it again in the Spring. I have done this on EVERY Car and Truck I have owned and have used this many times prior to help people when there car runs rough. It will not cure a fuel system problem that is not related to mosture build-up but it will work wonders on a simple fix for a low cost.

lone_wolf025
05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Unless you're running 100% gasoline heet is useless. The point of heet is to add alcohol to absorb the water by becoming a solution with it and then that solution mixes with the fuel. Ethanol (another alcohol) does the same thing. So for any of us in areas with ethanol in the pumps its a waste of money.

Mike Jung
05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
People see OP's new thread...

I definately think it is related to the eletrical power problem that they are having.

battery light (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74876)

ApacheTaz
05-28-2008, 06:51 PM
See ok, so my 99gagt only hesitates when I am heavy on the gas, it dosnt hesitate when sitting still. I was going to ask what you think it could be cause I have now had the following done to "solve" the problem...

Cleaned the Throttle body, Changed the Fuel Filter, Air Filter, and a fuel tune.
I have to admit its better than it was, but it still hesitates when pressing the gas hard.

Would it be a governer of some sort?? Cause when in park the car wont go over 4 RMPS, and also I cant get her to go over 100mph....maybe this is a relative situation??