This Sunroof Topic Not Discussed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : This Sunroof Topic Not Discussed

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
05-10-2008, 06:41 PM
LOOK AT YOUR factory sunroof glass. around the edge is a flat 3/8 inch ruffly trim piece that if you push down on it with yourfinger nail . it appears to have a rubbery coating or feel to it .

my glass is perfect and even the rubber molding / seal that is around the glass. i do believe this rubber molding is also part of the flat trim piece that is the first thing around the glass.??? checking threw dealer about that.

now with mine it appears that the rubber coating dissapears in spots. or i quess i would say disolving , thus leave a white powered look in spots and patches pretty much all around the trim.

too me it looks like the trim is made of aluminium and is coated with rubber. and it appears to be corroding , causing the blk rubberized coating to vanishing.

i know with the lower outside window tracks on 1996 to 1998 that has the window squigee atttached to it. that they were aluminium coat with rubber and they went the same way.

ANYONE ESLE EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM ?

is my case just fluke ?. ANYWAY TO PREVENT IT. mine started it about 2 years or so ago. .

and my car has only ever seen the 1st 2 winters since new. so it can not be salt that is causing it.

the only chemicals i think were ever around the trim would be car wax, armourall type products , rain-x

Bryan
05-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Wax will leave white sort of stains on it. Rubbing alcohol will remove them.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
05-10-2008, 07:27 PM
i DID think of that and tried it. but you can see and feel where the rubberized coating in this spots or blotches is not there. if it was metal under this thin rubber coating , these blotcheswould show as rust instead of like coroded alum.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
05-16-2008, 07:38 PM
well according to scetches and written info at gm dealer . they show part numbered #1 just looks like glass , you can see if it as the trim piece on it , that i am having the problem with.

but after ordering the next piece in order number #2 ( $145.00 cdn before tax ) that turned out to be the rubber tube shape / roof seal molding that you attach to the glass that keeps glass closed againest leakage.

so the glass must come with that flat trim piece that is my problem area. it does not show or describe it as a seperate piece or like said even describe or show this trim piece.

what sucks is that it cost $400 cdn before 13% tax. retails for about $560 cdn. and too boot i likely have to or should buy that new molding just to be safe for the new glass.

we will see what it all comes with when it arrives. one of gm's install guys believes number #1 item will come with the trim AND the molding/seal. hope so save me $145+.

too bad there is no market for replacement factory sunroof glass for aftermarket glass install companies.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
05-17-2008, 07:56 PM
i did see on GMPartsDirect.com. there lower price for glass assy $281 + ship ?? + customs ?? . ship like WHAT $50 us to me ???? even rubber molding is 72 + ship + customs if stopped , versus $145 cdn+ 13%

.just which those folks sold and shipped to canada. when it comes to buying parts or anything you usa residence get all the breaks.

how upset and gelious i am .