old style dual post door mirrors just glass replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : old style dual post door mirrors just glass replacement

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
05-12-2008, 10:35 PM
nothing wrong with my dual post original factory door mirrors, EXCEPT mirror glass is scratchey likely from ice scrapers before i bought the car.

now can just the glass be bought from a auto glass installer, or can you buy the manual aftermarket doors mirrors and easily take the glass out and remount into my door mirrors.

i just think having someone paint the complete aftermarket or gm mirrors would be a costly thing. and with aftermarket i still worry about fit / finishe etc.

Bryan
05-12-2008, 10:54 PM
You should just be able to take it to an auto glass shop and have them put new glass in. I think its around $40. Don't quote me on that.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
05-12-2008, 11:10 PM
i just thought that you might not because now days parts retailers etc try to sell you more then you need. wounder too if anyone on this site has ever had just glass replaced in a door mirror before. if so how did it turn out and look.

boost21
05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
is there a how to remove the glass portion? I want to integrate turn signals into the mirrors.

cardude007617
05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
well if they have any clue what they're doing, it should look as good as stock.

or go onto gmpartsdirect.com ; they really arent that expensive

AznGA
05-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Mirrors are really cheap on E-bay. I think they look identical to OEM ones.

Bryan
05-12-2008, 11:32 PM
is there a how to remove the glass portion? I want to integrate turn signals into the mirrors.

I know there's a thread here somewhere from a guy that did that and he had a detailed removal write-up.

Jake
05-12-2008, 11:55 PM
I know there's a thread here somewhere from a guy that did that and he had a detailed removal write-up.

x2 on that I have seen that thread as well.

tenspeed
05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I think I got the picture from a IceMan thread. The mirror is on a plastic plate. You could glue a new mirror onto the old one or break the old one and mount directly to the plate.