Lowering Springs and Stock Struts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs and Stock Struts

M-ushroom
05-12-2008, 11:16 PM
What are your guys options on putting lowering springs (1.6" drop) on a car with stock struts. Car is a 2002 Grand Am, So please let me know if u think i should get new struts or whats the potential bad things that can happen?

AznGA
05-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Stock struts are only made for stock springs. Your lowering springs will destroy them. Get some good aftermarket ones while you have to get them taken apart.

Bryan
05-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Plenty of threads on this, search man.

M-ushroom
05-12-2008, 11:34 PM
How much around for a good set of aftermarket struts

stillriza
05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Plenty of threads on this, search man.

Ditto. There was a juicy arguement about it as well :)

How much around for a good set of aftermarket struts

Springtech Struts go for about $350 for all 4 corners...but I can't seem to find them online anymore.

Or you can splurge and get some KYB's for about $100 more.

Jake
05-12-2008, 11:51 PM
My old grand am has been lowered on stock struts for the past 2 years lol, car still rides fine even with those old ass struts on it, People act like it is going to totally fock them in like a week, you'll be fine for a while but I recommend getting new struts down the line.

M-ushroom
05-13-2008, 12:20 AM
My old grand am has been lowered on stock struts for the past 2 years lol, car still rides fine even with those old ass struts on it, People act like it is going to totally fock them in like a week, you'll be fine for a while but I recommend getting new struts down the line.

Thanks for the advice :D anyone else have the same experiences running on stock struts?

LukeL
05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Ditto. There was a juicy arguement about it as well :)

Yeah there was a good Arguement ;crap

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73526

2 Lessons learned:
- Hoss is the man
- Stock struts with lowering springs are a no no. It throws of the valving and suspension geometry in which the Strut was designed for.

Side note: I bought a set of Intrax (On here) and KYB GR2s all around. I may be putting these up as I will not be using them anytime soon. PM me or email me if interested.

cardude007617
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
a set of KYBs on ebay go for like 225 or so..... i think