Theft Sys Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Theft Sys Light

mekanikman_402
05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanx for letting me in your forum...I just bought a 97 Grand Am GT 2.4L 5 speed for $400 the other day cuz the lady i bought it from thought it needed major work cuz the transmission was stuck in 3rd gear...i figured it was the shift linkage cables so i got some from a junkyard and it shifts just fine now....anyways, the car starts and runs fine but the theft system light stays on all the time...i tried turning the key to on for 15 min then off for 2 sec 3 times in a row then starting the car but it still wont go out...and i also heard that cutting the yellow data wire will just make the light stay on too....can somebody help me???...I did a little bit of searching on here and it seems like all the theft system problems are the ones that wont let u start the car...mine starts and runs fine...It does have an aftermarket cd player in it also....:confused:

mekanikman_402
05-22-2008, 10:13 PM
anyone???....is it something to do with the ignition or somethin???

dmalle02
05-23-2008, 12:51 AM
im thinking it may have something to do with the tumbler.. but not positive.. if its not really giving u any problems then iw ouldnt really worrie about it to much.. lol good deal on the car though how many miles?

LukeL
05-23-2008, 05:00 AM
I have a 99. I had the THEFT light come one once since I owned it and it did not start, or even try to turn over. It was dead with that THEFT light blinking. I pulled the battery out Friday morning and left it out for the weekend. Monday morning I put it in. Turned the key and fired right up. I don't know WTF happened but it never came back on. This was 3 years ago.

Not really a solution to your problem but it fixed it....maybe you should pull the battery for a while???

stillriza
05-23-2008, 08:33 AM
I have a 99. I had the THEFT light come one once since I owned it and it did not start, or even try to turn over. It was dead with that THEFT light blinking. I pulled the battery out Friday morning and left it out for the weekend. Monday morning I put it in. Turned the key and fired right up. I don't know WTF happened but it never came back on. This was 3 years ago.

Not really a solution to your problem but it fixed it....maybe you should pull the battery for a while???

That is actually your passlock. It will come back to haunt you later. See the thread here http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74971 on how to disable it. I am just waiting for an answer before I attempt that fix myself.

Im surprised pulling the battery worked. I know that the only way to start the car up after passlock kiks in is to reset it with the 10 min wait with the key in the On position.

mekanikman, for 99+ GA's its also very common for the security light to be on. If you search the forum you will find alot of members have that light on all the time..without problems (lucky bishes) And other members, myself included, will have it come on rarely, but when it comes on..then it foks up and wont let you start the car after unless you reset it. I am not sure if it applys to pre 99+ but the how to above goes through disabling the damn system. Researching on the matter shows its not just a problem with GA...but with most GM vehicles.

mekanikman_402
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
See, now thats the thing....i dont want to unhook the battery cuz what if it wont start again?!?....i tried to do the key on for 15 min thing with no luck....but yea, the car has 138k...no rust....5 speed...tint....i like it!...the only downside is that its that purple color...lol...but shiit, for $400 who cares!...now all i gotta do is sell my ranger...lol

mekanikman_402
05-31-2008, 10:19 PM
So lets say i was willing to spend the money to fix the theft system...what is the typical fix for this common problem???