what kind of car alarm do you have [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : what kind of car alarm do you have

GrandAmC9
05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
im looking to buy a car alarm and was wondering how many people have them and what kind of alarm or any reccomendations just looking to get the same functions as the stock key fob(+alarm) knock sensor and all that...

this is the one i was looking at, let me know what you think
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9887_Absolute+AL-407.html#

sorry if i posted in the wrong section, if i did please move accordingly

Mike Jung
05-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Don't buy it online.

Find a local installer shop; & buy it/install it with them.

Alarms really depend on the installer, more than the hardware (but good hardware helps).

I had a Clifford G4 InteliGuard system back in the day lol
They don't make them like that anymore. Clifford got bought out by DEI.

PS: Don't look into a Clifford securty/alarm system unless you want to spend alot of money $$$.

Bryan
05-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Avital 4400, I love it. Its in the DEI family, in which you can't really go wrong.

GrandAmC9
05-23-2008, 11:49 PM
no one else has one??? i'll try and find a shop close by and see how it goes
thanks guys

silvergtjrad
05-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I dont have one at all. For me, there is no need. If someone wants to break into my car and steal my stock radio, help yourself. I wouldnt mind getting the insurance money to fix the window you just broke and put a nice aftermarket deck in.

Mike Jung
05-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I dont have one at all. For me, there is no need. If someone wants to break into my car and steal my stock radio, help yourself. I wouldnt mind getting the insurance money to fix the window you just broke and put a nice aftermarket deck in.
Well, in my case, back when my car was new:

It was so someone doesn't drive off with my car; & this was the 3rd time someone tried !!!

I used to park on the streets in downtown Toronto overnight.
(Had a GF that had a Apt there.)

One night my short range pager for the alarm system went off; 27-floors up.
I see a guy working on my car's door.

This was after the other night they got in but couldn't drive off with it.
(Door monitor, interior proximity sensor & hood switch was opened/tripped.)

I find out from a building security guard (he heard my 2- 120 db+ sirens kicking off): The night before over 6-cars went "missing"; mine was not one of them.
My car had a Clifford immbolizer when the alarm system was armed.
Relays lock/disable the power to the starter & ignition system to dead; even if they were to cut the alarm's power wire (even though it had a battery back-up system/siren too).
Plus the GM's PassLock II gas cut off system.

GrandAmC9
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
wow^

i_ammetal
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
i would def go somewhere and buy it off the showroom floor..and ask about labor for install. Youd be shocked what places would give discounts on labor if you ask for it...

whoever you talk to make sure you ask them plenty of questions about the install..

as far as the unit....
I would reccomend a Clifford alarm WITH a key-remote pager..
Look at it this way...
Your going to have to spend a little money in this process, you might as well get a dependable alarm so you dont end up wanting a better system later on.
I made the mistake of going with an alarm with one sensor (placed next to the rear view mirror), and NO pager... huge mistake.
Ive had many problems with people (and *AHEM EX. GIRLFRIEND*) throwing eggs, rocks, what have you at my ride and not being close enough to hear it.

GrandAmC9
05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
ya i guess i deff go somewhere and ask a bunch of Q's baout both the install and the unit, i deff want something dependable, allready got a glass bottle thrown at my car... luckily it missed and i was right there on my way back to the car
ya and my ex got her windows busted and keyd the whole car... wasnt me but still she didnt have an alarm, happened right in front of her house from one of her other ex's she didnt even know untill the next morning

hardcore
05-27-2008, 06:14 PM
I currently have an ungo alarm! I don't really keep nothing in my car either everything is stock not even cds how sad, i put 2 miles on it a day! but definetly have a pro install it! plus you don't have to hack parts and pieces,Plus Warranty!!

i_ammetal
05-27-2008, 09:14 PM
ya i guess i deff go somewhere and ask a bunch of Q's baout both the install and the unit, i deff want something dependable, allready got a glass bottle thrown at my car... luckily it missed and i was right there on my way back to the car
ya and my ex got her windows busted and keyd the whole car... wasnt me but still she didnt have an alarm, happened right in front of her house from one of her other ex's she didnt even know untill the next morning

all more of a reason to have a good alarm! A couple things simialr like that happend to me..... Im switching mine for sure. Very soon. Its just amust have after you invest XXXX dollars in your sound system.....let alone other things.

A couple of my friends have viper alarms, and so far they have done them well but i have heard of some gimmicks like false alarms or shorts...... could just a bad install but either way go with a pager!