Replacing non-functional scoop grills? oh and fog light question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing non-functional scoop grills? oh and fog light question

spevia
05-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I have an '03 with a ram air hood that has the non-functional scoops. The grills in the scoops have started to rust (which i didn't think was possible cuz i assumed they were plastic) and the rust is starting to bleed onto the paint on the hood.

Does anybody know if these grills can be replaced? and if they can is there any benefit to replacing them with open grills as opposed to the fake ones?

Also, i have a whole fog light assembly that was pushed out of the housing during the winter. How do i put it back in?

Thanks for your help.....

gtdreams
05-24-2008, 05:12 PM
you have to open the hood and get a heat gun and melt the black sealant around the scoops on the inside when it gets soft you can peel that stuff off and under that black gunk is 2 screws on each scoop.then you can take off the 2 plates that close off the openings.those are the things that are rusting.mine are also .lol.the grilles are plastic like you said.i would sand the plates down and paint them with rust proof paint and put them back,just my opinion.customcargrilles.com has pretty nice grille replacements if you like.as for the fogs i am not sure but there are brackets under there,never checked mine out.try the search button,you will most likely find tons of stuff on whatever you need to know.hope i helped a bit!!take care dude.:thumbs:oh yeah ,some people have left the plates off and just left the grilles,but i prefer not to have more dirt and crap getting in.although i have thought about that.

spevia
05-24-2008, 05:27 PM
didn't realize the grill had a separate plate behind it, thought it was one piece.
Thanks for the help

gtdreams
05-24-2008, 07:15 PM
no problem,good luck with your ride!!!