Think I blew my 3400 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Think I blew my 3400

alerored04
05-28-2008, 12:04 AM
On my way home tonight I pegged the car around a roundabout. RPM's jumped to 6k and hung there without shifting, I bumped the throttle to try to make it shift, I thought the tranny was dying since the car has 130,000 miles. As soon as I touched the throttle the RPM's dropped to 1K and whenever I touched the throttle they would drop to 500 and climb back up after I got off the throttle. I coasted to a stop, the car sputtered and died. I tried for a restart but all I could hear was a spinning starter, no compression, no cranking at all. Ideas? I am totally stumped.

williamGT
05-28-2008, 12:08 AM
That sucks, I hope it's not to bad.

SikMindz
05-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Think I blew my 3400

You should probably get checked for STD's.

alerored04
05-28-2008, 12:21 AM
haha funny guy. Anyone have intelligent input?

Ajaxus
05-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Not even grax is that ghey..

/intelligent input nuked

stillriza
05-28-2008, 06:51 AM
You should probably get checked for STD's.

LMAO!!

surreal_awakeni
05-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Starter working but no cranking? And an engine that just died? Have to admit I'm puzzled by that. They would seem to be unrelated issues, but clearly they somehow are.

I'm not sure any of that qualifies as intelligent input, but that's all I've got.

timka86
05-28-2008, 07:13 AM
pull the plugs, do a compression test. if no/poor compression, no matter the cause, you'll have to tear it down anyway. either blown gasket, cracked piston, busted timing chain/bent valves. etc. so compression test will tell you whether or not you need to take it apart.

alerored04
05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
That is a place to start. Thank you.

surreal_awakeni
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Won't he need the engine to turn over to do a compression test? It sounds like the engine isn't turning over, if I read the first post right.

alerored04
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
It spins a little. I just checked the compression on two cylinders. One of them has 0 and the other 25psi. Once I get some people to help me push it back into the shed so I can start tearing it down. I don't know if I should hope to find carnage or not.

timka86
05-28-2008, 02:35 PM
wow, well, i doubt you busted any pistons, although possible that if the timing chain went, one or more of the valves busted a cylinder, and bent some or all of the valves.

well think of it this way, this is a perfect opportinuty to go with bigger and better. Talk to tejohnson, maybe consider buying his already beefed up engine, that would be a nice upgrade midst your demise.

if it was the timing chain, WOT tech just came out with the double roller timing chain. and perfect time for a new cam, SS valves, LS6/comp springs, ported heads, chromoly push rods. Maybe a six speed swap ...... i got carried away.

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
well, since you found one of the cylinders has no compression, atleast you can tell kinda where the problem is, but still good luck. and i agree with tim, if you have a few performance parts on the car already, and you like to beat on the car, now would be the time to add to it. you have to spend the money to get it fixed anyway, so why not do it right?

alerored04
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I just pulled it down to the heads. Those will come off tomorrow. So far there is nothing obviously wrong. All the rockers and pushrods are straight and there were no coolant leaks from the lim or the heads. I stuck a piece of wire in the spark plug holes and all the pistons are moving, even the ones which came up with low compression. I did not check the other cyls for compression. I want to upgrade some things but I need to find out what is wrong first. The cam looks like it is turning but i already removed the pushrods so I can't tell if it is fully rotating and opening the valves. Anyone know the best way to check the crank for damage?

john_V63400
05-28-2008, 07:57 PM
check your timing chain, I busted my timing chain and it completely tore my heads to pieces, some more than others, could be why the compression is different on cyl. Umm
I hung at a High RPM and then it just shut off. it was on the 2nd to 3rd shift was it. Cause thats were it happend to me.

alerored04
05-29-2008, 02:27 PM
/\ You were close. Timing chain jumped and all the exhaust valves made contact with the pistons. The chain did not break cause before I removed the rockers I spun the motor by hand and all the rockers were moving. Very odd deal. Anyone know what a rebuild costs? My dad wants me to use a junkyard motor but I really dont want to do that since I would have to tear it apart to install my ported heads and manis anyway. Any suggestions on cheap things to do to make this more fun?

gtdreams
05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
lol You should probably get checked for STD's.

timka86
05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
/\ You were close. Timing chain jumped and all the exhaust valves made contact with the pistons. The chain did not break cause before I removed the rockers I spun the motor by hand and all the rockers were moving. Very odd deal. Anyone know what a rebuild costs? My dad wants me to use a junkyard motor but I really dont want to do that since I would have to tear it apart to install my ported heads and manis anyway. Any suggestions on cheap things to do to make this more fun?

well you need a timing kit, new chain, maybe gears, any piston damage? how about the heads? obviously the exhaust valves are no good. you can rebuild with what you have if there's no further damage.

Change the valves, make sure they seat right, and there's no seat damage, you could go on the safe side and buy used heads and work with those. I know SSRacer was looking to sell a pair of stock heads. if pistons seem ok, then you should be fine. Definitely get a new chain and gears. and check the exhaust push rods, they may have bent some. are the valve really bent? or just slightly? got pics?

http://www.allstateengine.com/ you could get replacement parts from them, I used them on more then one occasion before. call them to order, website is not the best in the world.