Quad bulb setup W/ HID.... wiring help? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Quad bulb setup W/ HID.... wiring help?

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
ok, so i have projector lights with the quad bulb setup. my low beams are HID and my brights are halogen. how do i go about setting them up so when my brights are on, my dims also stay lit up so i dont wear out my ballasts or bulbs on my low beams?

Graxall
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
ok, so i have projector lights with the quad bulb setup. my low beams are HID and my brights are halogen. how do i go about setting them up so when my brights are on, my dims also stay lit up so i dont wear out my ballasts or bulbs on my low beams?

There would be no way to do this...Only way would be to split the high beam wire to run both low and high beams, but then obviouslt your high beams would always be on.

So yea im pretty sure u cant do that.

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
well, i bought a harness with a relay that does this, but then i had the problem of my dims not shutting off because the relay wouldnt close for some reason. i tried working it out for several hours, but couldnt seem to get it to work out.

timka86
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
You need a diode, a fat one, like 5 amp. I know radioshack has some but the biggest i saw there was 1 amp. technically the 1 amp will work, just may burn out overtime. (plus it's not like you have high's on all the time, and flashing them shouldn't really burn it, but it can, so a bigger one is better)

the grand am headlights use ground as the on/off, the middle wire in the blue headlight plug is your constant 12 volt positive. you need to connect the two outside wires (the highbeam is the pink one i think, I don't remember the other one) with the diode, it matters in which direction the diode faces (there's a white line on it).

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f363/timka86/random/ballastwiring.jpg

excuse the poor paint skills, but that's the version that will work. as mentioned, that diode may have to be reversed if it doesn't work one way( if it's the wrong way, both will be on, but when you turn on high's, onlyhigh's will turn on. that's when you know you have to flip it.

that's the generic way of doing it, the correct way, would be to use relays as many recommend. You have stand a chance of popping fuses if you do it this way (as pictured) without a relay, which is more complicated.

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
yea, i have a wiring harness with a relay that is supposed to do this, but i ran into the problem of the low beam not shutting off when i turned the switch off unless i hit the switch to high then back to low after turned off.

Graxall
05-28-2008, 03:26 PM
yea, i have a wiring harness with a relay that is supposed to do this, but i ran into the problem of the low beam not shutting off when i turned the switch off unless i hit the switch to high then back to low after turned off.

Is it really worth all this trouble? Just get new headlights or something lol..You been throwing money around lately like its going outta style, just buy someone to hold big lights at the front of your car lol

timka86
05-28-2008, 03:26 PM
see most of those things are designed for a (+) positive terminal on/off, grand am's have a (-) negative which could be cause your problems.

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
haha... i know ive been wasting a ton of money on the car lately, but thats because i like trying things out and if i dont like it, i i gotta get rid of it somehow, i cant just let it all sit around(not enough room). i am getting different headlights, but i would just like to get all 4 lights to light up when they are on high beam.

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
ahh... that completely skipped my mind tim.. but even if its on the negative, shouldnt it still get some type of current running through it?

Graxall
05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
ahh... that completely skipped my mind tim.. but even if its on the negative, shouldnt it still get some type of current running through it?

(-) + (+) = fail

timka86
05-28-2008, 08:07 PM
well if the polarities are all reversed, the relays will work, but i don't know what or how it's all wired. instead of using their relays, try the diode thing. The set of HID's that I bought had that diode installed right on the plug, which is great, but it was placed for a (+) on/off, our cars are not like that and so mine didn't work right anyway, so i had to cut a few wires and make it work correctly. but I know it works, i had done it on my brothers infinity with the diodes off my car, and it worked perfectly, didn't even pop any fuses.

jurgs2007
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
ok, but above it says i need a 5 amp diode, but if this is just sending a small signal to my relay that powers the harness, then does it have to be the 5 amp one? or can it be a smaller one.

timka86
05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
ok, but above it says i need a 5 amp diode, but if this is just sending a small signal to my relay that powers the harness, then does it have to be the 5 amp one? or can it be a smaller one.

good thinking, the one amp will be plenty if you are powering a relay. relay only draws 200 milliamps.