where do you get engine gaskets [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : where do you get engine gaskets

GrandAmC9
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
well my 3.4l is leaking oil from the front either timing chain cover or crankshaft seal or something, rear main seal, all around the oil pan, and lim

wheres a good place to get gaskets, good brand, anything to do with them...
all i can find is fel-pro gaskets and they all say not for performance use. i want to be able to drive my car hard (who dosnt?) when its all back together without getting oil leaks again.

also while im at it is it worth it to do head gaskets and valve covers or anything like that? im curently rebuilding my trans and its all appart anyways...

-and on that subject does anyone know where to get the trans pan gasket with the rubber studs like factory? i got a new filter/gasket kit from autozone (it didnt have the rubber studs) about 6 months ago and ever since then ive been leaking trans fluid

zukiracer19
06-03-2008, 11:25 PM
dito i need a rebuild gasket kit for me too..

surreal_awakeni
06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
I ordered a Fel-Pro head installation kit from Rock Auto. It's got all the major gaskets in it. Check there for any other gaskets you need also. Some of the specialty things may have to be ordered from GMpartsdirect or the stealership.

MarineCoprsGASE
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
hey do they make gaskets that take alot to leak, i plan to completely redo my engine and i want gaskets taht dont leak, but i guess im hopin for a maricle.

toysruskid
06-04-2008, 10:54 AM
hey do they make gaskets that take alot to leak, i plan to completely redo my engine and i want gaskets taht dont leak, but i guess im hopin for a maricle.

AC Delco, I work for O'Reilly's and when I was in the store I sold Fel-Pro and they suck as far as head gaskets go, they just dont hold up as well.

GrandAmC9
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM

ya thats what im lookin for. acdelco? i didnt see anything from them but ill chech again

OneFstGt
06-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I used Fel-Pro and so far so good.

surreal_awakeni
06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I used fel-pro the last time I replaced all the gaskets (150k miles). I'm now at 245k miles and doing it again. 95k miles out of the last set of fel-pro gaskets, so I won't complain.

GrandAmC9
06-04-2008, 07:26 PM
i couldnt find anything on acdelco so i guess felpro is the way to go

gectek
06-05-2008, 09:10 PM
the felpro gaskets are alot better than the acdelco ones are...ive seen both and i work for both companies. the LIM trouble solver kit from Felpro is MS 98003T, its the best one to use, then just buy the head gaskets by themselves, i believe you can get the 9071PT x 2 and then get the head bolts MM23188 , then youll be good to go. felpro does have a stronger head gasket i think ill have to look up the number so see what it is, and have plenty of good oil resistant silicone, like ultra black

bigstribs
06-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I used fel-pro the last time I replaced all the gaskets (150k miles). I'm now at 245k miles and doing it again. 95k miles out of the last set of fel-pro gaskets, so I won't complain.

HOLY CHIT u drive a lot

GrandAmC9
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
does it sound like my timing chain cover is leaking or my crankcase seal or should i just be safe and do it all? i know i have to do my rear main seal also

gectek
06-05-2008, 09:51 PM
the stock gasket is reusable so many times it isnt funny unless you rip or tear it. felpro and pioneer do offer the molded rubber gasket, but it is expensive, about $40 and you can get it from gm for the same cost. and it is hard to tell what is leaking, the easiest way to tell is to look at the pan, see if the leak starts right at the pan/block seam, or if it comes down from above that...

GrandAmC9
06-05-2008, 11:55 PM
unfortunatly both :( from all around the pan and in the front and rear from above, and also from lim, my heads are good(from what i can see) and on a side note- do i have to lift the engine at all to get the oil pan out because its kinds stuck(hits the crank when i try to remove it, i guess im gunna have to lift it up a bit but didnt know if there was a way arround that or not

gectek
06-06-2008, 09:58 AM
i dont really know if ull have to lift it, i take the pan off when i pull the engine. just make sure you have all the side bolts out of the pan. you may want to look into getting the conversion set(thats what felpro calls it, itll start with a CS) for the pan, it has the new gaskets for the cross bolts from the oilpan to the mains

GrandAmC9
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
thanks that made it a lot easier i didnt even see that before

GrandAmC9
06-07-2008, 11:31 AM
can the engin/trans be removed togetther? or do i have to drop the trans before i can take the motor out?

stewartfn18
06-07-2008, 02:05 PM
can the engin/trans be removed togetther? or do i have to drop the trans before i can take the motor out?
the engine and trans can be taken out together, i id assume that its alot harder that unbolting the engine from the trans first.