Spueaky Engine [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Spueaky Engine

Baundy06
06-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I have seen other posts but none of them answered my question...

My problem started last fall when my LIM went bad and I got it replaced. Ever since then (but never before) my serpentine belt has made this horrendous sound that many of you know about. I waited until this summer to get it really looked at mostly because I am a poor college student.

About 3 weeks ago I took it to my local shop and they said the belt that was on it was almost 2 inches short and was causing the noise, they replaced the belt with a proper one, and it was fine.

About a week later it began to make the noise again. I took it to the shop again, they replaced the belt on warranty, and put in a new tensioner assembly. Again, it was perfect for about a week, and now it is making the sound again.

Currently, it sqeaks when I start it, and is louder under acceleration with a less audible sound when idling. My last idea is to have the shop put a Gator belt on instead of the generic model, can anyone help me out? If it wasn't so annoying and embarrassing I would not care but for anyone who feels my pain you know that it is worth getting fixed. Thank you for helping!

hass
06-07-2008, 09:46 PM
i remember seeing a lot of posts about a gator belt taking care of that issue.
so it may work, who knows.
what are they charging you for it?
will they give you a credit since you got the old belt and that didn't fix it?

gectek
06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
well first off you need to see what part of the engine the squeaking is comming from, the 3400 engine has 2 idler pulleys that can start squeaking as well, also is it just when the ac is on, or under what conditions does it sqeak?

cardude007617
06-07-2008, 10:34 PM
arent those pretty inexpensive to replace?

gectek
06-07-2008, 11:19 PM
yah they are like $20 from the dealer, dont get em from any other parts house, they suck, just get em from the dealer, they come with a new bolt too

Baundy06
06-08-2008, 07:09 AM
The shop I go to is owned by my best friends family so they tend to be pretty fair. I am going back this week to get the Gatorback belt and the mechanic said he would credit me for the other belts since they didn't last and will only charge me a few dollars for the difference and for labor. Thank you for your help guys, it is appreciated a lot.

cardude007617
07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
kinda off topic but how much movement should the belt tensioner make normally? ALOT or be very still?

99gav6
07-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I just got a new tensioner put on and it moves very little actually, the one i had on before vibrated to all hell. The bearings went out in it and it really didnt tension the belt much either as i was getting slippage

cardude007617
07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
what kinda noise does it make when the bearings fail? or any other info that i could use to determine if my tensioner is shot?