strut mount clunk versus stb bar install [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : strut mount clunk versus stb bar install

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-08-2008, 07:13 AM
question we are all aware of the clunking noise cause on 1999 to 2004 ga 's ,caused by the crappy factory front strut mounts. i pretty sure my does that going over bumps etc you hear it and feel it .

hopefully someday i will replace them with WHAT ever is better out ther for our cars and also install the new adjustible shocks that are available for our cars. but who knows i have stufff now for my car that i hve yet to install .

i tend to buy things and never get around to installing them or at least not for a few years.that's a combination of lazyness and lack of knowledge / inexperience with installs and hate having to worry about others work on my car FUSSY.mechanics not known to be carefull folks.

anoying but i don't think my has reached the point of really bad yet . that can only be determined by being able to here somes clunking that's worse.

my car has 76,700 klms on it . so would hope it's not too bad. i bought car with 33,000 klms on it back in 2002.

ANYWAYS. i have yet to install my front and rear stb bars , so i was woundering once i install them will that make my clunking worse or better. would it create more problems too my upper strut mounts ??????

stillriza
06-08-2008, 07:15 AM
interesting question. i don't know if it would affect the mount but would like to know as well.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-08-2008, 07:46 AM
stillriza.. you must be the only one on last couple days LOL . you seem to be pretty much the only replier to my emails.

ps; do you have the edge of the dash/bottom of windshield lifting up problem as others and i do ???

i noticed many that have the problem are in hotter climates.and others say it's not so bad in colder areas.

well i have noticed my dash lifting actually goes down with heat and rises the colder it gets. this rise can be as much as 1/4 of an inch. so the warmer it is here the better my dash looks. although there is still quite alot of lift sstill there reguardless of temputure change.

AaronGTR
06-08-2008, 09:21 AM
question we are all aware of the clunking noise cause on 1999 to 2004 ga 's ,caused by the crappy factory front strut mounts. i pretty sure my does that going over bumps etc you hear it and feel it...

...ANYWAYS. i have yet to install my front and rear stb bars , so i was woundering once i install them will that make my clunking worse or better. would it create more problems too my upper strut mounts ??????

The factory mounts aren't crappy. They are actually better than the after market replacements. Most of the clunking noises people have had were cause by either 1) incorrect installation after installing drop springs, 2) a problem with the threads on the strut shafts on early KYB GR2 struts that has been resolved, or 3) just plain old high mileage. They are a wearing part, and like any part on a car they don't last forever, so you shouldn't expect them to.

That said, installing STB's should not have any affect one way or the other on the clunking noise. If you are sure you have it, you should definitely get the upper mounts replaced though.

stillriza
06-08-2008, 09:31 AM
stillriza.. you must be the only one on last couple days LOL . you seem to be pretty much the only replier to my emails.

ps; do you have the edge of the dash/bottom of windshield lifting up problem as others and i do ???

Ya..that's cuz im stuck here at work so nothing else to do other than surf the webz. So i will be here replying till 7pm. At least it's raining out, so i don't feel as bad that im not out there enjoying the heat.

I don't have the dash problem.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-08-2008, 01:58 PM
no dash problem what year is your ga ?

stillriza
06-08-2008, 03:00 PM
its an 03.

Since I purchased it I have regulary used this..

http://www.vt-sports.com/catalog/images/meguiars-nxt-tech-protectant_6_1.jpg

Not sure if that maybe helps but It keeps the dash clean, shiney and lusterious as hell... and not a crack or scratch. Protects against UV as well.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-08-2008, 03:49 PM
i have had alot of old vehicles etc . never had a dash fad or crack etc . so i have never used anything on my dash . besides with the type of top coating they put on dashes in the last what 20 years . i would not think the chemicals would be able to soak threw.

i know with my 2007 gp the dealer applied a some type of chemical to the interior and because of different interior testures it did not cover well as as soon as any rain got on the door panels etc in would leave things temporary spoty or runs. plus is was tacky. suposely the dealers would have the best stuff ???

this ga dash thing i THINK has to do with the foam that is UNDER the top coat material of the dash etc. I THINK I HEARD they fix this dash problem from 2002 onward.

looks like PFYC may have a stealth 194 replacement for behind the corner reflectors. checking with thwm to first see if it blinks etc / works same as the 194n/a that's there now.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
06-08-2008, 11:57 PM
none of those 3 factors would meet my ga. at only 76,700 klms about 1500 to 2000 a year and i have babied it driving wise since buying it in 2002 end.

can not say i noticed the clunk in the first couple year of owning it either. now the first 33,000 klms was put on mostly by rental company with 10,000 klms done by deal sales person. no rust on mounts etc either.

i had warrranty of 72 months when bought jan 2002 , problily notice it in the last year of that time 72 month frame i would guess around 60,000 klms ???

. i don't think it has gotten any worse. i do not think i hear it alot or all the time.