"Notchy" trans (intermittent) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : "Notchy" trans (intermittent)

lone_wolf025
06-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm probably being paranoid with this, but I wanted to get some informed opinions. I've noticed lately that sometimes when I downshift from second into first on the auto it sometimes clunks/pops/notches into gear rather than shift smoothly. Its more heard than felt. Its intermittent but happens often enough on that downshift (especially under load) that I wondered if anyone has seen the same thing.

Again, I'm probably being paranoid but I've had a few times lately that I put the trans into reverse and in my haste, give it some gas before its in gear causing a nice clunking sound. That I'm not surprised about as its my own fault. But the clunking on downshifting (only in manual mode under load) is something new.

Tranny's been flushed within the past few thousand + miles so fluid shouldn't be an issue. 43k+ miles on the car.

Bryan
06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't know but all these trans problem threads are starting to worry me goddamnit.

lvemy3100
06-10-2008, 05:48 AM
I hate to say this but why are you shifting your trans manually for?

does the trans do it when it down shifts while in drive?

lone_wolf025
06-10-2008, 07:12 AM
I hate to say this but why are you shifting your trans manually for?

does the trans do it when it down shifts while in drive?

For fun of course. Doesn't do it in drive though as far as I've noticed.

lone_wolf025
06-10-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm sure its probably nothing, especially since its intermittent, I just thought it strange. And sadly, my current brakes are so bad that it helps if I'm trying to slow down in a hurry. I gotta change my oil soon and then I'm gonna check the brakes. If they're halfway down or less I'm yanking them and putting in carbon met.

timka86
06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
I had the clunking in reverse too. I wanna say it's the axles...

AznGA
06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Don't mess with the Tranny. Just put in D and leave it. Brakes are a lot cheaper than the tranny.
I would say it's normal.

lone_wolf025
06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I've narrowed it down. It only happens on 2-1 downshift in manual mode from a decent speed, basically using the tranny as a brake. At the downshift the tranny will lightly pop into gear. When at a lower speed (say midrange of what would be first) the trans will not pop into gear.

I'd also like to remind everyone that the gear selections are there for a reason which I'm sure many know is to prevent overheating of brakes on long stretches downhill. I use it in addition to the brakes when quickly slowing down from hard acceleration because the brakes suck so bad. As I've said earlier, I'm gonna be getting some CM's soon enough, but I gotta pay for a few other items like replacement wheels first.