Transmission issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission issue

crfuller1958
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I have been getting a particular noise from under my GT when starting up from a dead stop. Upon acceleration, there is a slight but noticable whirring/whine type of noise followed by a rattle...similar to a cat rattle, but not as loud. It only happens when the car is in first gear, and only under harder acceleration. If you just accelerate slowly, it doesn't occur...or atleast it's not noticable. Seems like it's definitely coming from under the front end of the car. As soon as you're going fast enough, and the car shifts into second...it stops and the noise is gone. It's been doing this for a few weeks now. The car has been running fine and the tranny seemed fine as well. No problems other than the noise. I haven't really been driving my GT very much right now because the weather has been crappy here. Alot of rain. Anyway, I brought it in to my local shop, where I've been taking my vehicles for years. I brought the mechanic with me on a drive, so he could hear what I was talking about. When they checked into it, apparently it's transmission related. The planetaries, or planetary bearings in the first gear are going out. He told me this was a fairly common problem on the GA transmissions. Anyone ever hear of this before? It was news to me. Pricey news too! I've got to have it repaired, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

gectek
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
i have actually never heard of it and i have been in and out of these trans since 03...i have heard of shift valve failures, but no bearing/planetary failure, unless you got some trash in there and its grinding the teeth up, good luck

crfuller1958
06-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Would a shift valve failure cause the symptoms that I'm getting? Or do the symptoms I'm getting seem like a tranny breakdown to you?

gectek
06-13-2008, 10:53 AM
seems like an internal hard part, i was just saying i havent heard of that normally happening to a 4t4x transmission