dome light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : dome light

shootnmiss09
06-11-2008, 12:06 PM
How do i remove the plastic cover on the dome light, in a 2000 Grand am?

Jake
06-11-2008, 12:45 PM
How do i remove the plastic cover on the dome light, in a 2000 Grand am?

Stick a butter knife in there and pry gently.

shootnmiss09
06-11-2008, 01:05 PM
ok i got it off, but how do i get it back on? There is the blavk plastiv thing that goes above the ceiling, then there is the light fixture. When i push up the light fixture the black plastic moves up, so it doesn't snap in, How do i get it back on?

Jake
06-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds like you pryed off the whole thing lol.

Just the clear plastic cover is supposed to come off.

shootnmiss09
06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
ya i did, how do i get it back on?

stewartfn18
06-11-2008, 02:50 PM
haha. i just had to do this a couple of weeks ago. if you have a moonroof, the "rubber" trim around the hole itself, separarte this from the headliner and if you can fit your hand in there, reach towards the lamp and push down on the black piece. if you cant fit your hand, use a long screwdriver. thats how i did it.

shootnmiss09
06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
i just ended up sticking a little chunk of wood above the black plastic housing, so the wood is in between that and the ceiling, that shouldn't hurt anything should it?

Bryan
06-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Nope, that's pretty much the same thing I did.

JB White
12-02-2011, 09:55 PM
My first post here. Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I found this one while searching for a fix to my problem.

The dome light fell out of my daughters '99 Grand Am and I figured there must be an easy fix aside from dropping the headliner. The solution I came up with is quite simple really.

I disassembled the light including the switches. Tied a loop of string to the black bracket while threading it through the domelight body. (you can see when matching them up where to tie off and what holes to follow in the body.)
I slid the bracket back into the headliner then pulled down on the string while sliding the body up and snapping into place. (dont forget to hook up the wires first) After that it was a simple task to snip the string and pull it out. Akin to pulling stitches. Snappd the swithes and lens back into place and voila! Problem solved.
Takes about 15 minutes because getting the switches out without breaking the tabs takes some effort. Best to do it on a bench or table.

ATB,

JB