oil on floor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : oil on floor

shootnmiss09
06-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey-

There is a little bit of oil on my garage floor and under the car, it isn't a fast leak or anything. I was wondering where you guys think it might be coming from. I'm praying it isn't the LIM, I'm hoping its just the gasket on the oil pan. In the pics the circles are where oil are.

Thanks

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/vollmer09/12.jpg

williamGT
06-13-2008, 10:05 PM
looks like front crank seal.

shootnmiss09
06-13-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't know to much about engines. What is a front crank seal? How much does it cost? Easy to fix?

williamGT
06-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't know to much about engines. What is a front crank seal? How much does it cost? Easy to fix?
The front crank seal is the big circle pulley on the bottem of the engine, were the belts go around....and I don't think its a big job to do, but you need the right tools.
Plus another member will post more things on this.

stewartfn18
06-14-2008, 02:39 PM
no the front main seal is not hard to do at all. all you have to do is pull off the belt(obviously), pull off the wheel, the crank pully, and boom, the front seal is exposed. as for getting the seal out, not really sure how to go about that. flathead screwdriver maybe?

shootnmiss09
06-14-2008, 07:40 PM
So is that more then likely what the problem is? The mechanic is looking at it on Tuesday so. From where the oil is under the car, does this rule out the LIM?

lone_wolf025
06-14-2008, 08:19 PM
From the looks of things it seems your leak is coming from between the oil and trans pan. My $ is on LIM cuz my car had the same leak before when the LIM went bad...just like its leaking now.

tenspeed
06-14-2008, 08:52 PM
So is that more then likely what the problem is? The mechanic is looking at it on Tuesday so. From where the oil is under the car, does this rule out the LIM?

Let the mechanic tell you what is wrong. That's what you pay him for. Nobody can tell from a internet picture exactly where oil is leaking from. It could be a seal, gasket, oil filter, etc.