A/C barely working, suggestions? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C barely working, suggestions?

pauljs75
06-19-2008, 05:45 PM
I replaced the blower resistor a while back, and all the fan speeds work otherwise so that's not it. No idiot lights, so perhaps not any compressor-type problem that would throw any codes.

What I'm suspecting is:
1. That drainage from the evaporator unit is plugged up. (I did drive through some big puddles before, dunno if dirt could get in easy that way.) Is it easy enough to get at w/o a lift? It starts out with some cool, so that's why I suspect it may simply be icing up. If it's accessible enough, does anyone have pics or diagrams they could share?

2. Could be a thermostatic or vacuum problem on a blender vane? I had a previous car that had what seemed like weak A/C, but it then turned out that it had really really strong A/C as it was only the flap channeling air the right way that was stuck. The nice mechanic that figured that out first saved me a nice chunk of dough.

3. Something is hosed with the actual A/C unit itself, but I don't see any major signs of that. No unusual noises from the system, and there's a hint of coolness coming from the vents before it seems to peter out.

Just trying to see if there's a DIY-type solution before throwing some $$$ at it.

AaronGTR
06-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Go get it pressure tested. 90% of A/C problems are from something damaged/worn out and the refrigerant has leaked out of the system. Might want to check the compressor clutch too and make sure it's locking and the compressor is actually spinning when you turn the A/C on. It's not something that will make the SVS light turn on.

williamGT
06-20-2008, 07:39 AM
hey does our cars A/C does the spin cycle? clutch spins and stops and spins for 5-10secs and stops again?

AaronGTR
06-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Nope, it's either on or off.

williamGT
06-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Nope, it's either on or off.
Thanks Aaron, The reason I asked because at Tim Hortons drive thru I hear other people in newer and older cars have the spin cycle.