Possible misfires? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Possible misfires?

darkshines
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I have a 2004 GAGT with 60k. About five days ago, it suddenly has an issue with WOT. Whenever I floor it, it'll start kind of stuttering at the top end of the rpm band, usually around 5500 or 6000 rpm, before it should shift. Sometimes it stutters even earlier, around 4500 rpm. It sounds like backfire, but I don't think that's what it is. I thought it was misfires, but I'm not getting an SES or SVS light. It all started when I took off the coil packs to look at them (those are what the non-spark plug end of the ignition wires plug into, right?). Since then she's had trouble with WOT.

I thought it might have been the tranny because it happens right before I shift, but my gears aren't slipping, and if I'm not at WOT, the shifts are always smooth.

I changed sparkplugs to the Autozone Iridiums, and got an oil change, and it's still doing this.

Any idea what might be wrong with it?

cardude007617
06-20-2008, 11:08 AM
easy fix- dont go WOT ;)

maybe you didnt tighten em down enough or something

silvergtjrad
06-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Ive got the exact same problem. I cant figure out WTF it is! Im out at the midwest meet right now and I couldnt even make it down the track last night. The car just started missing horribly and Id have to get out of the gas completely so the thing would fockin' shift.

Here is what Ive tried so far to fix this: Repaired some burnt wires, checked all crank and cam sensor wiring for shorts or grounds, changed plugs, checked plugs and re-gapped, replaced wires, tried replacing coil packs and ICM which just made it worse. I changed injectors and it wouldnt do the WOT misfire for a few days, but showed up at the track last night.

The one thing Im thinking it may be is a cam or crank sensor going bad. Ive got a small oil leak on the passenger side of the block. The oil on one of the sensors may be fouling it up. Im at a loss of ideas how to fix the problem at the time. Good luck with fixing yours, and keep this thread updated so we can both get this fixed up!

darkshines
06-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Also, forgot to mention, it makes a popping sound from the exhaust. Terribly annoying. And another indication the tranny is fine is that if I let off the gas when it starts popping, it smoothly upshifts, so clearly it's going on in the engine.

I'm not only curious as to how to fix this, but I'm also curious why my SVS or SES lights aren't coming on?