Rebuilding front end, lower control arm question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding front end, lower control arm question

bullittgrandam
06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
This week I'll be completely rebuilding the front end on the '02 GT and had a question. At my local Autozone I can purchase two brand new lower control arms, with new ball joints and new bushings all around. If I were to buy the bushings and ball joints seperatley the savings would be nominal, $10-15, and then I would have to deal with getting the new bushings pressed in at a shop or parts store that would more than likely charge me. Has anyone gone this route? Any advice, pro or con? I'm leaning towards the new parts, as opposed to replacing.

Btw, I've got squeeks, rattles, clunks, you name it! With 90,000 miles she'll be getting new everything up front, except for inner and outer tie rods. They appear to be ok. Thanks far any and all help in advance.

AaronGTR
06-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Getting the old bushings out and pressing the new ones in is a major pain. Changing out the ball joint requires drilling the rivets out of the old one and putting the new one in with new rivets or bolts. If you don't have the tools/experience to do all that, and the cost isn't much different, I'd recommend just getting the complete lower control arm with everything installed on it. That's gonna save you a lot of time.