Help Please... Serpentine Belt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help Please... Serpentine Belt

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-22-2008, 06:58 PM
ok so i get in my car to go to work just now to find that my low battery light went on so i go to open the hood and my car is smokin and i open the hood to find my serpentine belt scrapping and pullin to the right and eatin itself up from the right side... what sucks is i just had that belt changed last month.... there are no squeaks or anything... what u guys think????

alerored04
06-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Happened to my brother a couple months ago. Your crank pulley is separating from the dampener causing misalignment. You need a new pulley installed. I have a spare one lying around if you need it. It is an easy job if you have access to air tools.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-23-2008, 04:56 AM
thanks for responding man.... i was thinkin that the mechanic had left my belt kinda loose or something... so for sure i know im pickin up a new belt and you say i need a crank pulley right??? im goin to autozone today at 7am so hopefully theyll have what i need there.. another question if i didnt have air tools how hard if so will it be to change that crank pulley?

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-23-2008, 06:15 AM
does anybody have instructions on how to exactly install this "crank" pulley?? also what is the exact name of the part i should for at autozone? cause im on autozone.com and nothing is under crank pulley.??

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-23-2008, 06:15 AM
will that crank sensor relearn thing apply to me if i change my crank pulley?

FuriousG
06-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I may be a bit naive but it sounds to me like something wasn't done right last month when they changed your belt. I'd go back to the shop that did the work and try to get them to cover the repair. I would find it awfully coincidental for the pulley to go bad right after they had messed with it. If they value their reputation then they should help you out.

alerored04
06-23-2008, 10:27 PM
You can do it with hand tools. You will need a 1/2 inch socket wrench and lots of extensions. I will type out a quick how to when I have time tomorrow. I will sell you my spare used pulley for cheap if you want.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
update guys... so yesterday i found that my harmonic balancer pulley was sticking out for some reason which is what caused the belt to misalign and pull right... i replaced with new harmonic balancer pulley and new gatorback belt and made sure everything was nice and tight... everthing is good now... hopefullly it stays that way though lol... thanks for your help guys

alerored04
06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
That is exactly what I was referring to. Glad you got it sorted out. What did it end up costing you?

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-25-2008, 06:22 AM
60 for the pulley
30 for the belt
10 for the pulley puller

which pulley is the one where it has a sensor in it? cause i waas thinking it was the one i changed

alerored04
06-25-2008, 03:57 PM
That is the one. It has the 24x sensor ring in the pulley for the crank sensor located behind it.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
wow cause thats crazy i threw my old pulley out... i didnt see anything on it.... both pulleys old and new looked exactly the same... could it have been that it was stuck on the car instead on the pulley itself???????

alerored04
06-25-2008, 10:15 PM
the sensor is on the block. It is just a little notched ring on the pulley. The new one must have had it or you would be showing a SES light.