Anybody tried propane conversion? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried propane conversion?

timberwoof
06-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I know a couple people around here who have done this and say it works for them, but they have big trucks. My friend's grandfather has a GMC Sierra 2500 that runs on propane and he says he only has to fill up once a month with all his running around, but he carries a huge tank in his bed. Don't know how many miles he puts on it per month but its an 8 year old truck that has rolled 200K.

Just curious if you guys have any input into this?

http://poweredbypropane.net/

notsoaveragej0e
06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I know a couple people around here who have done this and say it works for them, but they have big trucks. My friend's grandfather has a GMC Sierra 2500 that runs on propane and he says he only has to fill up once a month with all his running around, but he carries a huge tank in his bed. Don't know how many miles he puts on it per month but its an 8 year old truck that has rolled 200K.

Just curious if you guys have any input into this?

http://poweredbypropane.net/

Sounds cool... I've seen trucks with propane injection, which on diesels has almost the same effect as Nitrous Oxide. In fact, I think the show Trucks built a Duramax out with propane and NOS a long time ago.

timberwoof
06-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Its not a propane injection. Its a total propane conversion, where your car runs completely off propane. And when it runs out or you need the extra little power, you can change over to gas. I know it works but have never heard of a Grand Am using it. Have you?

AaronGTR
06-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Never even heard of it before. I've only heard of using propane injection on diesels. Not sure how that's supposed to work on a gasoline engine?

timberwoof
06-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Never even heard of it before. I've only heard of using propane injection on diesels. Not sure how that's supposed to work on a gasoline engine?

They do it alot with fleet vehicles because its cheaper and more environmental friendly. Just wondered if had ever been done on a Grand Am.

I'll try to find some stats and specs and post.

Rich
06-23-2008, 10:15 PM
ive seen a propane converted go kart. never a grand am. sounds like a bit of a job.

timberwoof
06-23-2008, 10:53 PM
hmm, don't know. Never seen it actually installed, just used. I didn't notice a difference in power.

PhantomLover007
06-24-2008, 10:17 PM
OT, they have alot of propane powered vehicles in Korea. They generally do keep about the same amount of power.

KhellendrosxS
06-25-2008, 04:32 AM
One of our work trucks is a gasoline switched over to propane. I wasnt too keen on its power but it was a really heavy dump truck so that probably had something to do with it.

timberwoof
06-25-2008, 05:04 AM
I just thought I'de throw it out there for people to wonder about I guess. Since nobody has done it on here.

juanvan
06-25-2008, 06:34 AM
I had seen a GA with a conversion - it was on a show sometime ago. Looked kinda cool - think we could get more milage out of it?

williamGT
06-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Propane and propane accessories.
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/king-of-hill3.jpg

timberwoof
06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Propane and propane accessories.
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/king-of-hill3.jpg

lol .................................................. ........................... so what you trying to say?

ash-shaytan
07-12-2008, 02:23 PM
i used to do this conversion on chevy malibus and impalas, would be the same process for a grand am or any other car. they can be made to run strictly on propane or switch back and forth. it basically involves adding a special regulator to vaporize the propane from its liquid to gaseous state and some electronics to fool the pcm into thinking the injectors are firing while running on propane. mileage stays about the same, you just have a larger storage capacity, and power drops slightly.

personally, i don't think it's worth the trouble. after seeing the insides of engines that have been running on propane for a while.......propane burns a lot hotter than gasoline and it shows on the pistons and cylinder walls. there is also the greater frequency of blown gaskets, the need to more frequently change spark plugs (platinum plugs cannot be used) and the loss of either trunk or spare tire space.