Broken window clips- Home made fix. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Broken window clips- Home made fix.

stillriza
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM
So both clips on the LF side were broken. I noticed that a few have said that part can be bought from part places but had no such luck locally. I also read that some were able to get the clip from the dealer at about $22 a peice. No thnx. And I wasn't about to ring up $200 on the entire assembly just for the parts.

So.. with a bit of inginuity, hard steel and lots of epoxy, my clips are fixed....and will never break again :)

The broken clips

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/stillriza/window%20clip/IMAGE_002.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/stillriza/window%20clip/IMAGE_003.jpg

A test application on the far right clip. Worked well. So decided to go big to ensure strength of the joint.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/stillriza/window%20clip/IMAGE_009.jpg

Went big
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/stillriza/window%20clip/IMAGE_010.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/stillriza/window%20clip/IMAGE_013.jpg

And no wonder why the windows would scratch. Look how much debri gets stuck at the end of the window. This stuff was hard as a rock.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/stillriza/window%20clip/IMAGE_007.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/stillriza/window%20clip/IMAGE_005.jpg

It's ugly, but it works very well. Price of entire fix..$5.89 (the epoxy)

HaVoK~DOGZ~
06-25-2008, 03:49 PM
damn nice work.... u should do a quick how to on this cause those damn window clips are always breaking..

AaronGAGT
06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I dont know if what you're doing is going to fix it. The sashes (part that glued onto the window, $8 part from dealer) isn't the part that usually breaks.... its the white clip that runs in the window regulator guide (I've done them countless times on my own car and many local cars, $22 a piece).

I can't tell if you've done anything with the white clips -- but I definitely don't think you'll ever have a broken sash ever again!

stillriza
06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I dont know if what you're doing is going to fix it. The sashes (part that glued onto the window, $8 part from dealer) isn't the part that usually breaks.... its the white clip that runs in the window regulator guide (I've done them countless times on my own car and many local cars, $22 a piece).

I can't tell if you've done anything with the white clips -- but I definitely don't think you'll ever have a broken sash ever again!

So they are called sashes, ok ok. Ya..the sash will never break again. And thnx..i corrected the thread title.

Funny though, none of the places I hit up sold just the sashes, and the one dealership only offered me the entire assembly.

The white clips looked ok to me...man that epoxy is tuff sht.. if they break i will probably try that first.

bigzach
08-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Heh...I was going to start a topic like this just now... I did something similar, but for free. I cut up a plastic scraper I had laying around and drilled some holes in it. It works now, but before I put the top two screws in the clip broke. We'll live with it for now

AaronGAGT
08-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Heh...I was going to start a topic like this just now... I did something similar, but for free. I cut up a plastic scraper I had laying around and drilled some holes in it. It works now, but before I put the top two screws in the clip broke. We'll live with it for now

Hahaha NICE! it looks like it actually might work and reinforce that stupid part

blondiez24gt
08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
My front drivers side window broke too. I took it to a glass shop, and the Guy handed Me these, and said they were the problem. He then quoted Me 300 to fix it. So I told Him no. He just propped the window up with a board. Here are some pics of what He gave Me. Are these fixable?

tejohnson
08-03-2008, 08:26 PM
My front drivers side window broke too. I took it to a glass shop, and the Guy handed Me these, and said they were the problem. He then quoted Me 300 to fix it. So I told Him no. He just propped the window up with a board. Here are some pics of what He gave Me. Are these fixable?

So funny. There is another local with the same problem. They are wanting my entire passenger side window. And who in the hell is trying to charge you $300 here in the area? That, my dear, is extortion at its finest. All you need is new clips and they can be epoxied on to the window. Not all that pricey to fix, and about an hour of work max.

blondiez24gt
08-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I have no idea how to do it Myself. It was Murray's glass in Marietta that wanted to charge $300. Where would You get the clips at? I thought about asking You for the window thing, but Your car is a 2 door isn't it? Mine is 4 door.

AaronGAGT
08-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I have no idea how to do it Myself. It was Murray's glass in Marietta that wanted to charge $300. Where would You get the clips at? I thought about asking You for the window thing, but Your car is a 2 door isn't it? Mine is 4 door.

dealership unfortunately.

(from your picture) the piece on the left has a white rectangular piece towards the top. Its called a "window sash" (~$8 from dealership when I got mine, yours doesn't look like it needs to be replaced) is actually epoxied (get a 2 part epoxy from any hardware store, looks like a syringe) onto the window, make sure you know where it was glued before.

As for the other piece of plastic with all the weird grooves/notches in it, those are what usually break and can be bought for about $36 from dealership.

DON'T let someone tell you that you need a whole new regulator, unless the cables are completely trashed.

If you don't know what you're doing, find someone that has a tiny bit of mechanical knowledge and use this website and you'll be able to figure it out a hell of a lot easier.

tejohnson
08-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Or, just simply drop by my house, which she and her husband did ;) It is fixed. I purchased two today. The part number is 22689012, which they are $9.29 each (at the local dealer anyways). I guess you can score them from Pace if you have other things to order:

http://paceperformance.com//index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=77486

In any case, it was pretty fubar'd. It only required one sash, however, where the plastic retainers broke on the regulator, the cable jumped each pully on the door handle side. This allowed the cable to literally get ground up in the regulator gearing, and stripped the teeth off the plastic gears. Only pictures can describe the carnage! (hopefully they post some, because they took the devastated parts home). So what to do? We simply stole the tracks cabling, and regulator from the driver side door of my coupe, which I am selling the driver side window anyway. Well, we successfully adapted the coupe regulator into a sedan!

Oh, and it took a bit longer than an hour due to the surprise ;)

The cables were a tad long, but the rest of the parts were a perfect fit. While they were here, I sold them drilled rotors, an Alpine stereo, and a K&N filter. Everything for $70 cash. ;) I think they got a pretty good deal!

Turns out, there is someone stopping by house either tomorrow (errr today) or Wed to get her passenger side fixed due to one broken sash ;) Turns out she paid over $700 to have it fixed the last time! WTF! I am in the wrong line of work. In any case, she has already claimed my rear spoiler (since her car is the exact same color and year)... Things have been hectic indeed.

AaronGAGT
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
The cables were a tad long, but the rest of the parts were a perfect fit. While they were here, I sold them drilled rotors, an Alpine stereo, and a K&N filter. Everything for $70 cash. ;) I think they got a pretty good deal!

hahahaha tejohnson wheelin' and dealin'

blondiez24gt
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Yea TEJohnson definetly helped Me, and My husband out! By the way Thanks again!:D Here is a picture of the wire mess, on the regulator. Sorry its not very good. I loaned My actual digital camera to a friend to go on a cruise... So cell phone pics FTL! lol