wtf! KEy problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wtf! KEy problem

dabroncos12
06-27-2008, 02:13 AM
ok so i was puttin subs in my car and i had it the shift knob all the way down to 1rst i think in order to get the headunit out and the key was in the car obviously and then idk what happened but it may have come out and i moved the shift knob into park and now when i try to put my key to start it wont even turn...wtf? the keys not bent that i can see sooo...idk wh ats going on help!

Elderas
06-27-2008, 02:29 AM
put it back in first and try it?

check to see if ur key will open ur doors too

Pauljp
06-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Try turning your steering wheel both ways while turning the key. Sometimes the steering wheel is pressing against the locking mechanism preventing your key from turning.

dabroncos12
06-27-2008, 01:48 PM
my doors open with the key but i turned the steering wheel and tryed it didnt work i even stepped on the brake. and i cant put it in first bcos i cant turn the key at all so i cant move the shift knob. Idk what to do... maybe get a new key and try but it works on the doors...so rlly confused.

Lab Rat
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Your shifter lockout is busted. Get in there and find the problem. Mine is now disconnected cause it broke. Start at the shifter and work towards the ignition. Logging off real soon so can't help much more.

dabroncos12
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
how and what do i do

Elderas
06-27-2008, 07:20 PM
rip off the center console and look around would be my guess.

Pauljp
06-29-2008, 07:43 AM
I doubt that anything physically broke during your removal of your head unit. I think things are just jammed. The first thing to try is ensure that you are all the way into PARK. Try pushing hard on your shift lever all the way to the front. I've heard a story where it didn't quite engage and it thinks it is still in gear. You should hear a little click.
If that doesn't work, then you are manually going to have to unlock the mechanism. The only way to do this is to lift the cowling off the shifter. Inside you will see a solenoid, it looks like a little electric motor, it is actually an electromagnet that pulls/pushes a metal rod. This device works on electricity... you do have your battery connected don't you? It's function is to disable the thumb lock on the shifter handle enabling you to put it into gear. You can hear it under normal operating conditions when you push in your brake pedal. You don't have to take any of this stuff apart, just push on the rod or locking mechanism for the thumb lock in order to release it. This is probably where it is jammed. You should now be able to move the shifter into gear and your key should now turn into the on position. Once your key is in the ON position, you should be able to put your shifter back into PARK normally and all is well again.
Try this out and let us know.

dabroncos12
06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and pauljp thanks alot for your help i wish i would have read that b4 i spent $240 cash for a locksmith to come out and do whatever he did..a new ignition and what not. Thanks again