Power Steering Leak. From Pump? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Leak. From Pump?

carsisadam
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi.
Started to see a small leak under my 00' Grand Am Gt.
It was deffinatley PS fluid. I just filled it up a bit and went on for the moment.
Then it started to leak more and also start to make a whinning noise.
Also, the fluid started to sometimes look foamy.

Finally today I went to check on it and there was a big PS fluid puddle under my car and the resevoir is empty.

The first times I looked it over, I tried to find a leak in the hoses but couldn't find any. I really looks like the leak was coming from the pump its self.

Does this mean that the pump could be bad, or does it simply mean that a seal or something sprung a leak.

Also, if its the case where the seal sprung a leak, will my pump be ok? or will I have to buy a new PS pump because of all this.

I hope all I need to buy is a seal kit and some new PS fluid.

Anyone else have this similar situation?

thanks for the help

cardude007617
10-10-2008, 10:43 AM
i have a similiar problem. i had my PS pump replaced back in february or so, and a few months later the "new" pump developed a leak. well now im noticing my fluid is kinda goin down and i keep adding more (maybe a tablespoon or 2 each time?) and my block is wet like where the passenger side LIM leak can be, except its NOT that.
any other power steering related things that can leak? i know about the hoses and rack and such, but right on top like that

scs411scs
10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
My 00 GAGT has had chronic power steering issues since i got it, but only in colder weather....and spending the last few winters in Florida, i never really put it through those cold winters, but this year being back in Ohio i had to have my steering pump replaced and Midas did an awesome job...for the first time since i bought the car and all the people who have looked at it and "fixed" it...there is absolutely no whining coming from the steering pump now...500 bucks at Midas (split about 50/50 between parts & labor)

gagt Mechanic
10-10-2008, 08:27 PM
if it is buy the lim it is either the pump/resivior, or the hoses. the foaming and whining is either from air in the pump or low quality ps fluid. most likely from pump. new pump will cost between 100-200, I picked up a pully puller from a discount tool store by me for 10 bucks, new ps pumps do not come with pullys, you have to switch them, or bring it to a local shop and see if they will swap pullys for you

AaronGTR
10-11-2008, 09:56 AM
^Yep, what he said. You'll have to swap the pulleys. The whining noise is most certainly air in the fluid. The foaming is a direct sign. You usually can't buy repair parts for the PS pump other than the reservoir and pulley. They aren't serviceable and they only rebuild them at the factory where they have special tools, so you'll need to just buy a new pump.