Lights flicker... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lights flicker...

Black Knight
07-01-2008, 01:40 AM
I have an 04 GA SC/T Coupe. My friend has a 99 SE Sedan and we both have the same problem. When you push on the brake pedal the headlights, instrument panel, Headunit, etc. Dim or flicker if you will. He has had various stereo systems in his car. I still have the Monsoon, no subs, amps or anything hooked up. What is causing this flicker? Is it the Alternator? I have yet to hook it up to the machine at the dealership I work at to do a load test, but it just confuses the hell out of me that it starts/ cranks fine, never any problems. But when you hit the brakes all the lights flicker for a second.

PhantomLover007
07-01-2008, 05:02 AM
A cut in a brake wire causing a short maybe? IDK. Just a thought.

stewartfn18
07-01-2008, 07:06 AM
mine does this too, but it seems to be common and its not threatening to drivability, so i just let it go.

ridefas78
07-01-2008, 07:41 AM
bad ground? alt? battery?

tenspeed
07-01-2008, 09:39 AM
They all do that to some degree. You're foot is off the gas, the revs are dropping, you hit the brake pedal and seven light bulbs are energized. It going to pull the voltage down a little.

timka86
07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
test it by unplugging the rear tail lights, both of them and the 3rd brake light, and then try it.

how noticable is the dimming? my mom's camry has that too. I think it's just a high power draw from the rears that causing it. You have to consider there's 4 high power bulbs and 3 194 bulbs, so that's quite a strain on the electrical.

stillriza
07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
It's normal, many american cars do the same thing. As does my Grand am.

timka86
07-01-2008, 10:03 AM
LED's are the way to go:) and HID's up front

LED's draw WAY WAY less power, and HID's use less power too. and both have their benefits, LED's have better color, brighter colors, and efficient and HID's have much better light output and are more efficient then halogen bulbs. and they look better, you can't beat that.

Get those aftermarket LED tails on ebay.

Slim
07-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Mine did that too...

As others have said, low engine speed = low alternator output = slight pulse when you hit the brake pedal.

lastyear4gt
07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
LED's are the way to go:) and HID's up front

LED's draw WAY WAY less power, and HID's use less power too. and both have their benefits, LED's have better color, brighter colors, and efficient and HID's have much better light output and are more efficient then halogen bulbs. and they look better, you can't beat that.

Get those aftermarket LED tails on ebay.

Go LED's and you will more than likely get a SES light because the voltage draw is too little for the factory system.

This is a problem that can't be fixed. I spend countless hours reasearching this when I bought my 04 GT and there is no fix. I even tried a couple tech bulletins I pulled off of the GM techlink, and no success.

Maybe a bigger alternator, but most likely not.

torq455
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't notice that flicker with the brake or when I have all the accessories on, the lights just dim. However, when I have the A/C on and the rpm up in park, then the lights flicker. I don't notice any flicker when driving during any loads. For some reason when I have the A/C on, my fans will very quickly speed up and slow down at times (about 2-4 times per second). I guess in a way they flicker. Other times it either runs on low or high speeds. I always have the weird problems.

stewartfn18
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Go LED's and you will more than likely get a SES light because the voltage draw is too little for the factory system.

This is a problem that can't be fixed. I spend countless hours reasearching this when I bought my 04 GT and there is no fix. I even tried a couple tech bulletins I pulled off of the GM techlink, and no success.

Maybe a bigger alternator, but most likely not.
ive never heard of anyone getting an ses light because of having LED tails.