Chrome caps on the wheels?? [Archive] - Forum


View Full Version : Chrome caps on the wheels??

07-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey guys I have a question for ya! I have a 1999 Grand Am GT1, my sis ordered it new in 1999 but my brother in law didn't like the chrome rims at that time so I have the silver painted one's. Anyways my buddy bought a 2001 Grand Am GT1 yesterday and he has the chrome rims. While putting new brakes on today the wheels were off and I noticed that the rim isn't chromed at all. It's just a cap that goes over the wheel. I never knew that. Here I was thinking on sending my rims out for chrome. So do these caps just fit over my rims? What holds them in place? Any info would help....Mark

07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the chrome is pressed onto the rims when they're made. Basically it's not coming off unless you physically work to remove it on purpose.

07-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah. The Chromotechs are a metal wheel w/ a chrome plate plastic cover over them. You can actually buy the covers off of E-Bay.

07-03-2008, 11:55 AM
the chrometechs also have a solid spoke instead of the non chrome chrometechs...they have a triangle cut out of them, and the chrome cap is glued on IIRC not pressed. i would def get the non chrome ones(because they look nicer) and have them sent out to get chromed...just my humble opinion