What is the longest drive a GA can handle? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest drive a GA can handle?

stillriza
07-05-2008, 02:14 AM
As the title says, what is the longest drive a grand am can handle?

I'm planning a trip down to philly or washington from up here in Toronto and it's anywhere from a 8-12 hour drive. (About 600 miles one way) Personally, I can do it..just wondering if the car can handle a one shot distance like that...and then the drive home 4 nites later.

How long have you guys had the GA on the road for in terms of straight hours?

PhantomLover007
07-05-2008, 06:17 AM
IDK about the GA, but when I moved from Ft. Polk, LA to Ft. Benning, GA it was over 600+ miles and the car was loaded in the trunk and the wife, the kid, the cat and I were in the cabin. The Sunfire did really well and I usually had it pegged at 70mph. I drove all day, so I think your GA should do pretty well Riz.

Mike Jung
07-05-2008, 06:24 AM
As the title says, what is the longest drive a grand am can handle?

I'm planning a trip down to philly or washington from up here in Toronto and it's anywhere from a 8-12 hour drive. (About 600 miles one way) Personally, I can do it..just wondering if the car can handle a one shot distance like that...and then the drive home 4 nites later.

How long have you guys had the GA on the road for in terms of straight hours?
13-hours by myself each way.
With plenty of rest breaks !!!

The GA had no problem.
It was me the driver, that needed the rest breaks lol

& don't let the gasoline tank run below 1/4 of a tank.
(The gasoline keeps the fuel pump cool !!!)

Use the cruise control, & keep to the posted speed limit:
& get between 30-34 miles per US Gallon !!!

PS: Pump the tires up when cold; it definately helps with the mileage.
Check with an accurate digital tire gauge.
May I suggest a minimum cold tire pressure of 34 psi.

& check the motor oil level & the coolant level before leaving.
Top it up as needed before the trip down.

& GPS nav FTW !!!

PSS: Don't forget the sun block & sun glasses; or you will be red by the time you are finished driving lol
& have a cooler full, with plenty of cold drinks (water, pop, & juice, etc...).

davidbutzin
07-05-2008, 07:36 AM
I drove mine from Ft Benning, GA to Dallas with one stop. Ate dinner, slept 6 hours, then drove it from Dallas to COlorado Springs, CO. Both were 12+ hour drives, never had a single problem with the GA (Note, had about 64k on it at the time.)

Jake
07-05-2008, 07:39 AM
We drove my Ga non stop 36 hours from California to my dads here in South East Michigan. Literally almost non stop, only stopping for gas, 2400 miles in 36 hours, the car never gave us one problem and was a real trooper.

We drove her just the way she sits, lowered and on the 18's lol

EDIT : Averaged around 30 MPG as well ;)

AaronGTR
07-05-2008, 08:24 AM
The car can handle more than you can. Does that answer your question? :)

Basically as long as everything is in good operating condition and you check your tire pressure and fluids before you leave, the car can stay running at a constant cruising speed for a very long time. You have to stop for gas obviously, but freeway cruising puts very little stress on the car. I've driven mine from Michigan to Florida and back with no problems at all.

Amber99ga
07-05-2008, 09:06 AM
werd. My GA took more than enough long trips over 10-17 hours and I never had any problems. Michigan to Philly, Florida, South Carolina...it lived through them all.

Metallman56
07-05-2008, 09:45 AM
i just drove mine from south bend to tampa the trip was about 1250 miles and a total of about 15-16 hours. car ran fine, no problems. drove it back up too. same deal. only stoped once for less then a hour to rest on the way down. also had to get gas a few time. the car stood up to the trip better then i did. i got back yesterday and i'm still feelin it.

Haughee
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I once did a loop from South Bend to Cincy to Chicago and back. About 1000 miles. The GA had no problems even at 111000 miles.

williamGT
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
1700-1800km's from Yellowknife NT to Red Deer Alberta, so 18hrs.

stillriza
07-08-2008, 05:25 AM
very nice. Thnx guys. I am now confident to take her long distance.

peace!!

SSRacer
07-08-2008, 07:05 AM
As long as the car is in good working order and all the fluids are topped off, you shouldn't have any problems.

RC360
07-08-2008, 09:13 AM
as long as the car is in good working order and all the fluids are topped off, you shouldn't have any problems.

x2

heeroyue2002
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
We drove my Ga non stop 36 hours from California to my dads here in South East Michigan. Literally almost non stop, only stopping for gas, 2400 miles in 36 hours, the car never gave us one problem and was a real trooper.

We drove her just the way she sits, lowered and on the 18's lol

EDIT : Averaged around 30 MPG as well ;)

ive driven from cali to michigan as well =]

RedSE2NV
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Drove to texas and back from northern IN. So you should have no problems