Electrical and window questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical and window questions

redhotalero
07-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey guys, two quick questions.

I have a 2000 Alero with 110k miles on it. Everything has been flawless (with exception of LIM) but today I went to crack the window before work and it just went DOWN. What exactly is that, a messed up regulator or a window clip? It won't go up now...

Second question, is there an easy way to tell if your alternator is shot? I hear something like have the car running, disconnect one of the battery cables (can't remember which) and if it stalls it is toast... Anyway, it's on my TurboS Beetle, and I kinda need the second car! I want to take it to AutoZone/Checker to have them test it, but I'm afraid that when I turn it off for them to hook up the equipment it won't start again! It was fine one day, the next morning it was deader than dead...

Thanks guys!!

redhotalero
07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
anyone?

tenspeed
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Start the car and put a meter across the battery. If the alternator is good, the voltage should be around 13.5 volts after starting. The voltage increases as the battery recharges.

It sounds like your battery is bad or you have something draining it.

redhotalero
07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
yeah, figured that out - it was basically a paperweight... And let me tell you, changing the battery in a Bug is the biggest pain.... Like the designers got the engine in an said "Wo setzen wir die Batterie?" (Where do we put the battery?)

As for the window, did it just get off track, or is that a symptom of a regulator?