Removing Door Panels [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Door Panels

dagenais
07-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Couple of questions

How? and how hards is it to remove the door panels? Any special tools?

CAn you seperate the leather insert from the door panel?

Any help would be appriciated

Mike

stillriza
07-12-2008, 06:16 AM
I just did that yesterday morning.. not hard at all. You should be able to take it all apart in about 10 mins. The only tool you may need is a long and sturdy flat head screw driver.

There are 4 screws you need to remove. One under the reflector in the bottom of the door, one in the door handle itself and after you remove the door handle there is another screw holding the panel to the door. The final screw is right under that lil bar thing that you have under your door handle. After you got all the screws...theres a spot at the bottom left of the door where you can put your hand in and gently pry the panel off. Start on one corner and work around with your screw driver to help pry gently. The door panel is held on with green plastic clips that I broke 3 off. You can pick up new clips at any part store for like..$0.20 a pop.

Not sure about the leather insert cuz i never tried with it. I only took the door apart to get to the window motor and sashes.

GL

tenspeed
07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Can you seperate the leather insert from the door panel?

I removed mine. I used a large soldering pencil to soften the plastic tabs and pryed it off. I had new material put on the inserts and used the soldering pencil to soften the plastic and a socket to push it back down.

Some people have broken the tabs off and used hot glue to reattach.

dagenais
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the advice I would have never seen the screw under the reflector I would have pride it off until it snap LOL - All done took them all of and seperated the "vinyl" and painted and re-installed long process but worth it... Looks good

stillriza
07-13-2008, 06:07 AM
How dare you post with no pictures!?!?!

dagenais
07-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Just wanted to post a few pictures of the work i did....

Grreen99GT
07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
looks really good, so you just sprayed the old vinyl pieces ad reattached? if yes, what did you spray them with?

dagenais
07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes with a Vinyl Paint and clear coat... Use a apoxy glue to re-attach the panels...