Brake work; now mushy pedal and poor stopping [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake work; now mushy pedal and poor stopping

FastlaneV6GT
07-12-2008, 04:42 PM
So today I replaced my front calipers (previous set was 2 years old and creaking. Replaced under warranty), rear brake pads, and did a brake fluid change. After all this work, the brakes require a lot of pedal to stop. Almost to the floor.

When doing the brake fluid change, I did one wheel at a time, and never let the fluid in the tank get low. I bled the brakes twice (did it all over again after I noticed it was not working correctly) and even bled the master cylinder just to be safe. It improved a little, but not much.

Now, when I was trying to bleed the rear calipers, I broke off the bleeder screws since they were seized in there. I bled the rears using the banjo bolt connecting the brake line to the caliper. Not sure how effective this is.

Now, if the fronts were fine and the backs weren't, wouldn't I get some response from the brakes initially instead of a consistent failure until you push the pedal way down?

All fluid levels are good. Front brake pads are good and rears are new (both are Duralast Gold Ceramic). Brake fluid is Valvoline DOT3/4 Synthetic. Fluid is all new. No leaks coming from brake lines, etc.

Blight
07-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I couldn't tell you for sure, but when you bleed at the banjo bolt, you wouldn't be pushing out air from inside the caliper piston area? Just a guess. Ive changed calipers and did the whole bleeding process. I can tell you I had to do one wheel at a time and thought I was done, then go annd do them all over. There can be a lot of air inside way down those lines. How many times did you have to go thru the process of opening and closing the bleeder vale and banjo bolt per caliper? And did you do this job by yourself or with someone?

FastlaneV6GT
07-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I did the bleeding with a buddy of mine. We did the rears twice the first time and twice the second time.