Electrical issue? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue?

Reverend
07-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Today My GA started an electrical problem, started as the fuel gauge and Tach fluctuating a lot, now has evolved to all gauges dead, fuel, speedo, tach, temp, all non-functional. SES is on and the codes are P0420 and P0440, Cat converter is shot I know, getting that fixed this week. Other I think is a loose gas cap, my son just refueled it.
I have never had any trouble before with the gauges. Now with nothing working my son does not want to drive it. I do not see any bad fuses, tested the alternator and battery, both check fine with my gauges.
Any suggestions?
My son drives this car and just told me that the speedo has been jumpy recently. But only the speedo.
I checked all fuses under hood and in fuse block. Voltage check at battery and fuse blocks show normal- approx 12.7 volts with engine off. Speedo is sitting all the way right, (maximum speed), all other gauges at 0. All warning lights are illuminated.
I just passed this car on to my son after his Honda died at age 22. Someone please give me some ideas. Going to fix this problem and sell this car. It shows 230, 000 plus on the odometer.

Reverend
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I have been looking thru the Haynes book and can't find anything. Is there a fuseable link in the gauge circuit?

gectek
07-16-2008, 08:14 AM
look at some of these things first, but all in all, it may just be a bad cluster. also the speedo is mechanical, so that would normally be a mechanical issue. you would have to look at the cable on both ends and trace it in the middle to make sure it isnt rubbing or binding.

check the wiring harness from the engine compartment to the bulkhead through grommet...then check the connection on the cluster itself. is it just the lights or the entire cluster that doesnt work. look at the pics attached for any questions, also the microprocessor is located inside the IP cluster(im pretty sure anyway kind of hard to tell).

Reverend
07-16-2008, 12:58 PM
The instrument lights work, the gauges are all dead, occasionally the speedometer will read 70 or 80 while sitting still in my driveway. The rest of the gauges are at full left. Speedo is all the way to the right. There is no gauge sweep at power up. All other electrical items appear to be working. I can find no damage to any wire insulation in the harnesses under the hood. I am too old to get under the instrument panel.

gectek
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
well it appears to be electrically related to the signals that the computer sends to the cluster...idk tho could be alot of things. bad ground, bad connection, bad signal. youll have to do more research or just bite the bullet and send it to the repair shop

Reverend
07-16-2008, 01:09 PM
After testing the battery and alternator, I found the grounds, removed them and wirebrushed each one and reinstalled. I have shook each connector and no movement of the gauges at all. Does the instrument cluster die like that? All gauges at once?

gectek
07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
well...yes, it is a printed circuit board. if they were individually operated, then they wouldnt go all at once.

Reverend
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the info, looks like a new cluster or send it to the junkyard. Thanks for your help!

Reverend
07-18-2008, 05:17 PM
My cousin stopped by and took a look at the cluster, he is picking up one today and will replace it this weekend. He makes his living doing this but is usually so busy I can never get hold of him. $50 parts and labor sound good?

gectek
07-18-2008, 05:18 PM
yah good

Reverend
07-20-2008, 10:07 AM
OK, my cousin never showed up to work on this, typical of him. Now I hear a slapping noise from the timing chain area. I don't think it is worth throwing anymore money into this thing. I am disabled and can not get down and work on this myself.

KhellendrosxS
07-20-2008, 12:20 PM
If youre going to get rid of it people will pay for most of the trim and some of the engine parts before you sell it for scrap.