silverstar ultra bulbs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : silverstar ultra bulbs

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
2 QUESTIONS.... I HAVE BEEN BUYING AND FOLLOWING SILVER STAR HEADLIGHT BULBS here in canada and some usa websites , AND NOW THE ULTRA SILVER BULBS > 9007ST AND 9007SU/2 FOR MY MANY CARS.

i presently buy them from Canadian Tire Corpartion stores. BUT THEY ARE NEVER ON SALE OR DISCOUNTS threw the sylvania company offered. the same deal when i have seen them eslewhere. WHY ?????

next i just bought a few days ago and installed the newer ultra silver 9007su/2 bulbs , and replaced my regular silver star bulbs. then i went looking for backup of the exact same bulbs incase i ever needed one quickly.

i had to buy a pack of 2 as you do not sell them in singles.

and i noticed the familiar blue/grey packaging was changed to a copper colour packaging. different type of packaging . SAME BULBS THOUGH or should be ???

but what what interested me the most was that the description of downroad viewing increased from UP TO 25% to 40%.....that the and the brighter light increased from 20% to 50%......and the side viewing went up to 50%.....

HOW DID ALL THESE different stats increase if the 9007su/2 i bought in ( 2 ) different types/styles of packaging are the exact same ultra silverstar 9007su/2 bulbs.

stillriza
07-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Let me help clarify that for you. The new 'copper' colour packaging are the newer version of the SS Ultra's. They are slighlty upgraded over the older SS ultras. The regular blue packaging you used to see will slowly be phased out as all the remaining stock is sold off. Once all the stock is gone, you will only see the new copper packaging. I believe it is only to help seperate the regular bulbs from the Ultra's in terms of ease of recognition for consumers.

As for the difference, ya the packaging says theres a bit of diff. but I highly doubt a regular eye will be able to notice the diff.

I have seen the bulbs sold in singles in both Ultra and Regular version. Chk Part Source as they are owned by Cnd Tire. I have even seen them on sale for 15% off at Part source (that was when I picked up my set). A cnd tire that I most recently visited in Toronto on Markham/Lawrence sold the older Ultra's in singles.

As for a back up, simpley purchase cheap OEM bulbs and use those. When your Ultras burn out, you can send them in to Sylvania for replacement as they are covered by warranty.

I hope that answers your questions.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
well i feel cheated and i had to wait a year to buy them , aspecially if the ultra's in the blue packs are not as good as the copper packed.

i asked for and wanted there best they offered. and the cdn tire store i went to the for the first set had all old blue packaged items. so i did not know or see or hear anything about the ultra's being improved. and these things are certianly not cheap $59.99 cdn plus 13% tax..

yes my back set are the copper packed ones . and i only found one pack of those at another cdn tire. but i had debated as to whether to get those just incase they were brighter or better etc.

they appear to have a slightly more darker blue tint to them or it could be just the packaging that makes them look darker??? well the old blue pack are installed and no packaging remains to try to return them..

so doubt sylvania will do anything for me . heck they don't even anwer emails threw there website. did not read or check about warranty , i figured electrical usually warranty , you know once installed NONE. so what's the warranty /

stillriza
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Shouldnt feel cheated. The diff. really is marginal. The bubls look almost identical. The diff. in colour temp is only 100k (Ultras are 4000k where the new Ultras are 4100K)

As for warranty, they will replace any burned or damaged bulbs within a year no questions asked. For some reason i had thought they were lifetime on the ultras but I am not sure. I have to double chk the packaging if i still have it at home.

Eventually all the blue packaging ones will be sold off and just the copper packaging will remain for the ultras. I don't know if they plan to redesign the packaging on the regular bulbs. If it makes any diff. I have yet to see any of thier cool blue bulbs on sale locally or SS Ultra 880 bulbs for fog lights.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
that's what i understood. i go to buy there best which is suposed to be ther ultra's , only to end up getting the first set to find out they are not there best ultra's. the lighting has again been improved. her's what i want . i want both my expensive sets to be the best , the best ultra's they have. they are the same price.

stillriza
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
that's what i understood. i go to buy there best which is suposed to be ther ultra's , only to end up getting the first set to find out they are not there best ultra's. the lighting has again been improved. her's what i want . i want both my expensive sets to be the best , the best ultra's they have. they are the same price.

No No, my mistake. I read your post wrong, so I edited my response.

But ya.. it may have been the best they had in stock in that particular store. I duno. Either way, they are both the same price and both give almost the same output. Why not return the copper packaged set? Then, after a year, return your blue packaged set to syvania and when they ship you out new bulbs, they will be the copper set.

cardude007617
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
dude, seriously dont worry about it. just return the second set because buying a back up set when you dont need them is just wasting money. chances are the new set you put in will last until you decide to sell the car. be happy with what you have, i have the "old" version ultras and love them too. for the money, they're a good lighting upgrade and the "white" look really changes the appearence of your car at night.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-16-2008, 07:08 PM
i took your advise . i returned the spare set . and besides theres a cdn tire in every cdn city and ther never to far to get to. so if i ever need a replacement after the year warranty is up then i should be able to find them sold in singles around here. thanks .

bad habit of mine buying extra that i don't or won't need or use. that's why i get so in debt with my collectibles.