Anyone heard of this product?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this product??

ApacheTaz
07-14-2008, 05:08 PM
So I took my GAGT into the shop today for overheating issues I have had recently. They tell me I have a blown Head Gasket.

I was doing some research and looking to see what my options are and I stumbled upon this product, anyone heard of it? Should I try it??

http://www.rxauto.com/

Reverend
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Thermagasket ha s been on the market for a while. I remember my dad selling it at his service shop. I personaly do not trust it as it clogged the water passages in a small block engine and destroyed it. When I tore the engine down the cooling passages were clogged with Thermagasket sludge.
I consider it about the same as fixing a radiator leak with a raw eggs. A temporary solution that can lead to more repair expense later. These are my personal experiences with this product and my opinion of same. I am not an expert on this subject so use it at your discretion.
Thank you.

ApacheTaz
07-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Thermagasket ha s been on the market for a while. I remember my dad selling it at his service shop. I personaly do not trust it as it clogged the water passages in a small block engine and destroyed it. When I tore the engine down the cooling passages were clogged with Thermagasket sludge.
I consider it about the same as fixing a radiator leak with a raw eggs. A temporary solution that can lead to more repair expense later. These are my personal experiences with this product and my opinion of same. I am not an expert on this subject so use it at your discretion.
Thank you.

Thank you for your input, thats what I would like to hear...feedback!

The Tech called me and told me that I would to make sure my coolant was flushed before I added the product. But he assured me that it would work and its a heck of alot cheaper than $1500.

tenspeed
07-14-2008, 07:53 PM
How long are you keeping the car? It's nine years old now.

I would give the sealant a shot. Just don't mention it when you trade the car in.

AaronGTR
07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
If it was me I'd rather fix the head gasket. Most of the leak stop additives I've seen are either worthless, or they're just temporary band aids that keep the car running but don't fix the underlying problem. And they can possibly cause problems later on. Perhaps you can find someone who can fix it for you cheaper?

Anyway, if you do decide to try the stuff, make sure you thoroughly flush the engine first! Drain the coolant, fill it with clean water, run the engine to operating temp, then drain it again and fill it with clean water again before adding the leak stopping agent. After running it with the agent follow the same procedure. Drain it and fill it and drain it again before adding the water/coolant mix. That way you are sure to get as much of the agent out of the system as possible.

If you've ever had problems with the car running hot before, or if it still does it, you might want to try adding a bottle of redline "water wetter" with the fresh coolant mix. That's a product that actually works! ;)