99 GA coupe rustout in rocker panel [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GA coupe rustout in rocker panel

jeffg
07-17-2008, 09:13 AM
I keep getting rust forming at the rear of the rocker panel on the driver's side of my 99 Grand Am coupe. I've removed the rust a couple of times, treated the area with a rust sealer (POR-15) and then painted. Both times the rust has returned. So, I'm thinking this area is rusting from the inside out, and not the outside. This leads me to believe that the side window or something is leaking.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Lab Rat
07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Yah I got it too. Kinda sorry to her you have not been able to stop it. I was thinking the best repair would be to cut out some of the inner and/or outer rockers. I do plan on grinding and sealing before paint, prolly this summer. One last point. I think the failure may have something to do with the panel sealer (I don't know the real name) from the factory failing. Maybe a pro will comment.

jeffg
07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Lab Rat. Replacing a section of the rocker and the quarter panel was the dealer's suggestion too. While that ultimately would be the proper fix, I think the cause of the problem needs to be found first. That whole lower spoiler/ground effects set up looks like trouble. I can see rust forming underneath and it looks like a salt, dirt and moisture trap, but I can't take out the goofy fasteners along the bottom of the car to remove it and clean.

jeffg
07-19-2008, 04:06 PM
oh yeah, I was going to say that there is a seam in the sheetmetal just slightly forward of the area of rust and it is slightly open, but it's covered by the closed door and doesn't look that large to let that much moisture in. Seam sealer would probably be too messy, but I might try a dab of some type of caulking.