Bad trans mounts? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad trans mounts?

lone_wolf025
07-18-2008, 08:20 AM
So I recently had my car in and was told by the mechanic that I had two "crushed rear trans mounts". Well, after looking at the mounts myself and having consulted with my parts guy, all I have to say is HUH?

I crawled under the car and took a look at the mounts. I'm no expert but they didn't seem all that "crushed" to me. Take a look for yourself and lemme know what you think. First pic is the mount on the driver's side, second is the rear mount, third is the front mount. Only mount not included is the engine mount. 1st looks good to me, second and third have some slight distortion visible but is that bad enough to call it "crushed"?

Mechanic told me the GM part #'s were 22590932 (for "left rear") and 22624648. I can guess that one is the circular hard rubber mount (which I have a replacement of) and the other is the one with the bracket included?

Lab Rat
07-18-2008, 12:23 PM
We may need to find you a new mechanic. :D Hard to see much in the pics. But I don't see anything wrong. You do have to see the center as that's the thinness/weakest part. Maybe use a small mirror and flashlight to get a good view.

lone_wolf025
07-18-2008, 01:41 PM
We may need to find you a new mechanic. :D Hard to see much in the pics. But I don't see anything wrong. You do have to see the center as that's the thinness/weakest part. Maybe use a small mirror and flashlight to get a good view.

Didn't think of a mirror...I'll have to do that. But yea, normally this guy is really good and doesn't BS, but considering the fact that he completely glanced over the nicely leaking LIM twice, his track record with this car is not looking too hot...

lone_wolf025
07-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Dumb question, but how do I jack up the engine or trans without damaging the pans? Do I just stick a 2x4 under the oil pan and jack it up that way or what?

GrandAmC9
07-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Do I just stick a 2x4 under the oil pan and jack it up that way or what?

ya unless ypu have an engine crane

lone_wolf025
07-20-2008, 09:34 PM
ya unless ypu have an engine crane

Ok. I figured as much. Just wanted to make sure before I go messing stuff up :p

hass
07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Yep, Aamco said I have a broken front motor mount and a rear transmission mount.

I looked at them, my father looked at them... we looked at each other, and went Wtf?

So, we ended up taking it to a family friend who owns a mechanic shop, he saw nothing wrong with it.

Then we took it too a really professional car repair shop, (my cousin works there) and they looked at it... they saw nothing wrong with it.

However, I still do have this pesky 2-3 second delay whenever I switch my car from Park -> Drive or Reverse.
Or Reverse/Neut -> Drive.

lone_wolf025
07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Yep, Aamco said I have a broken front motor mount and a rear transmission mount.

I looked at them, my father looked at them... we looked at each other, and went Wtf?

So, we ended up taking it to a family friend who owns a mechanic shop, he saw nothing wrong with it.

Then we took it too a really professional car repair shop, (my cousin works there) and they looked at it... they saw nothing wrong with it.

However, I still do have this pesky 2-3 second delay whenever I switch my car from Park -> Drive or Reverse.
Or Reverse/Neut -> Drive.

I get a solid clunk every now and then, but I wonder if its from those trans mounts or not. Course an easy way to tell if the mounts are bad is to do a brake torque test. I'm gonna try that next chance I get to see if it moves more one way than the other.

gectek
07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
yes i can tell you the rear one is broken, and you can either lift the engine, or just jack up the trans, make sure to have an 18mm ratcheting wrench to ease removal...also make sure you reinstall the heat shield on the pass side of the mount. that bolt hole is supposed to be right in the middle. a mirror will help, but i can tell the rear one is broken...i can get you actual gm part numbers tomorrow, i work at a dealership. as for the front, you could poly fill it and make it more durable and able to transfer more actual power to the movement of the vehicle

hass
07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I get a solid clunk every now and then, but I wonder if its from those trans mounts or not. Course an easy way to tell if the mounts are bad is to do a brake torque test. I'm gonna try that next chance I get to see if it moves more one way than the other.

By brake torque testing, that's just reving it and seeing which way the engine moves?
I might record a vid of it tomorrow and see what you guys think of it.
I see a ton of movement, but I see movement in other GA motors as well.
So I don't know :\

gectek
07-21-2008, 10:47 PM
you can also just shift from park into rev and then into drive and look for excessive movement...just shifting...then look for the same thing, but im telling you the rear mount is broken...really you should just get then new mounts, they run about $50 from GM iirc...the inserts still use the stock bracket and then you have to worry about taking the old insert out and putting the new one in

gectek
07-22-2008, 10:43 AM
front mount is 22621543 rear is 22624648
they run 1543 - $53.68 4648 - $55.15 i have the rear in stock, have to order the front

lone_wolf025
07-22-2008, 11:04 AM
you can also just shift from park into rev and then into drive and look for excessive movement...just shifting...then look for the same thing, but im telling you the rear mount is broken...really you should just get then new mounts, they run about $50 from GM iirc...the inserts still use the stock bracket and then you have to worry about taking the old insert out and putting the new one in

I recently picked up a poly filled mount and plan on doing that front pretty soon. Only thing holding me back is my procrastination on getting the rear mount and that I was thinking ideally I'd want both front and rear mounts poly filled for balance if nothing else. What's your opinion on that?

gectek
07-22-2008, 11:08 AM
no, just the front will suffice...doing both will make you have alot of vibration issues and noise in the pass cabin...leaving the rear stock will allow some flex so as not to strain the drivetrain too much

lone_wolf025
07-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Gotcha

hass
07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Uploading a video now on the movement on my '99.

edit;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obo02U7fFyk

First 30-40 secs is switching through gears.

After that it's reving to a little under 2k in different gears.

Last rev is when the trans didn't fully engage in Drive.
Switching from R->D and it didn't lock in yet and the whole car shook and crap.
was kinda scary.
lol.
;D

hass
07-25-2008, 04:33 PM
bump.
wtb advice

gectek
07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
mounts are busted...when they go, there is an excessive amount of play in the shifter and it doesnt fully engage all the time, until the manual valve is pushed by hudraulic pressure into the right posistion. i had the same thing happen to mine...just change the mounts and poly fill the front one, thatll solve ur probs and help out on the longevity of the mounts also