What the heck is wrong with my car THIS TIME?!?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is wrong with my car THIS TIME?!?!

zx7ninja
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
OK guys, i'm getting sick of my GA giving me problems. I need help this time, bad. If I can't figure it out, i'm parting ways with the GA. I just can't trust it anymore.

A couple of days ago, I went out to pick up breakfast sandwiches for my family for breakfast. I brought my 3 year old daughter. Went into the store, came back out, car wouldn't. My 3 year old and I ended up walking home in 90+ weather (yep, 90+ at 9 am, sucks).

I can't have the car strand me again, not with my kids. I could only imaging if I was on a highway and had BOTH kids. We'd be f*ed.

Here's the issue:
Try to start the car, shuts off imeediately. Like, the car will start, rev for .5 to 1 second, literally, then shut right back off.

I researched the problem here an on other sites, and it SEEMED to be a security issue.
I went through all of the posted relearn procedures, to no avail. No difference.

I went to work ont he car today, and the battery was dead. Weird, I have no idea what would drain the battery. Bought a new one, car still behaves exactly the same.

NOTE: My key fobs no longer work either, which leads to to believe the re is still a security issue, like it's not seeing the code fromt he fob or something.

Brand new battery is fine, alternator tested fine.

I can hear the fuel pump start when I turn the key to on, so it SEEMS fine.

No idea where else to look.

If it IS a security issue, I don't understand why it won't relearn. I also don't understand what drained the battery that was in there.

If security, maybe the fuel pum disable is engaging, which is why the car won't stay started?
When I say it shuts off immediately after starting, i mean it. Immediately. I don't even have time to rev the gas.

Car is an 01 GASE with 5-speen Getrag, only 75k on the car, if it makes a difference.

PLEASE HELP!! I am currently without a vehicle, this is my only car. I have 2 kids, 3 and 2, I need to cart around, we need groceries, and we're stuck home. No family really in state that can help us out. We're pretty much alone out here.

Please help me figure this out.

Or if you all just think I should finally junk it, then I will. I just can't deal with this POS GA anymore.

thanks all.

zx7ninja
07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
By the way, I forgot to mention 3 things:

1. The day before this happened, i noticed that the security light was on WHILE DRIVING, but only for a few minutes, then shut back off.

2. Last year my windshield seal went, and flooded the car. Possible electrical issue here, that may cause this problem, but I am as of yet able to find anything.

3. My GA has had an issue with an intermittent short since I bought it new. GM would nver fix it, as it was intermittent, and they could not replicate. I talked to Bruce (if any of you remem.bebr him) about it waaaaay back in the day, and he helped me figure out WHAT it was, but not how to fix it. Due to it being intermittient, it's next to impossible to find the fault.

Just a little info that may help you help me.

Thanks again!!

homeskillit37
07-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I had a similar problem. the car would start fine for one leg of a trip then not start at all. the dealer put in FOUR Body control modules. Turns out it was the wire going to the module that was bad. If there was water in the cab its a place to look.

zx7ninja
07-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks.

It's getting dark now, but first thing in the am i'll take a look at the wiring going to the BCM.
As well as the BCM itself.

There was definitely water in the cab, about 1.5 to 2 inches, beneath the carpet and rubber mats.Both front and rear.