Changing Radiator, what else [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changing Radiator, what else

jamesh1985
07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello, Well I've had a cooling problem for 4 years now, and it overheats in 3 minutes now and I'm sick of it. I have replaced the gaskets and thermostat 1 year ago. Ususally just putting more coolant fixes it but not now. Sooooo I ordered a new radiator but what else should i replace while i got the car apart. I was thinking of doing the water pump, tune up (plugs and wires) guess i can do another oil change, is that all i should fix? I dont mind putting alittle money into it if there is something else i should fix.

I drive a 2001 GA v6, 185000miles. Had for 4 years, put 45k miles on it, 1 tune up, 4 oil changes, 1 gasket fix, brakes 3 times. thats it.

bigstribs
07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
If your over heating that fast i highly doubt its ur radiator!!! Your lower intake could be going or u have a blown head gasket!

Haughee
07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah I would make sure you are losing coolant from your radiator before replacing it. Common leaks are at the Lower Intake Manifold, or the Head Gasket.

AaronGTR
07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Like all above said... if your radiator isn't leaking or plugged up, thats not your problem. Much more likely that it's a blown head gasket, or possibly the lower intake gasket. It's also possible the water pump is bad, but you should notice coolant leaking from it if it's bad, and you wouldn't have been able to drive for 4 years with a bad water pump.

btw, brakes 3 times in 45k miles?! What the hell do you do to that car? A set of good pads and rotors should last at least 30k miles if there are no problems with the brakes (installed properly, no sticking calipers, etc).

hass
07-25-2008, 04:27 PM
mine would overheat the first start, then I would shut it off, let the fans run for 4-5 mins, start it back up.. and it would run fine and stay around 200-210.

I changed the LIM, that didn't fix it.
Ended having 0 compression on 2 cyls and a 3rd one going bad.
So the head gasket took the cake.
and had the heads resurfaced and cleaned up.
runs like a champ now.