raising oil press [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : raising oil press

gectek
07-29-2008, 08:45 AM
ok so which spring do i shim to make the oil press go up on my 3400 engine, and where is the hole at?

I may be looking at adding the oil squirters to my block and want to know so i can raise the press a few lbs ...

AaronGTR
07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
He's building his engine right now so it's already out and apart. ;)

I wouldn't use a high volume pump without the proper modifications since we've already seen that doing that can cause problems, but I don't see why he'd have any trouble if he's only raising it a few psi. If he's thinking of adding something that is going to increase oil flow and decrease pressure, he should do something to compensate for that don't you think?

I've thought about shimming the spring in mine at some point in the future, but haven't made up my mind yet. I see pretty low oil pressure (under 25psi) at idle when the engine's warmed up. I don't know if that is normal for 3400's, but I know people with older 60v6 engines have reported much higher stock oil pressures than that.

gectek
07-30-2008, 07:56 AM
average GM says is 15...but i wanted to know what to shim and where its at. Is it in the pump itself or on the block...

gectek
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
so do you shim the press spring on the pump itself or is there a place on the block that you do it at?