PCV hose (draws in air from intake) modding? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PCV hose (draws in air from intake) modding?

lone_wolf025
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
So I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the stupid stiff plastic pcv tube into the valve cover and into the intake (the hose that mounts on the intake tubing). Because its stiff plastic it won't flex the way I want it to and I'm having trouble getting the blasted thing in where its supposed to go.

Anyone have advice on a way around it or a trick to getting it to fit right? It was fitting just fine but suddenly doesn't want to go back to the way it was...

Nick-G
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Just install an air breather

gectek
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
yah...you can use a hair dryer or heat gun and make the plastic kinda bendable...then work away, or use some RTV on the cover hole, let it sit a little then put the PCV hose in, but id still use the hat gun to make it workable. either that or you can cut the plastic hose and put some rubber hose on it so itll bend and flex easier...

lone_wolf025
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
That worked. Now all I have to do is stop it from "screaming" at me. I've got an air leak (around the TB I think) and it "screams" hella loud. I'm gonna see if I can't find a new gasket as I reused the old one instead...

gectek
07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
could just use some RTV....just make sure it sits for a while before you go smashing the TB on

lone_wolf025
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
could just use some RTV....just make sure it sits for a while before you go smashing the TB on

I'll try that if I can't find a new gasket somewhere.

AaronGTR
07-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Just install an air breather

Bad idea. There's a whole thread around here about that. The PCV system is there for a reason and needs vacuum to work properly. If you put a breather on either valve cover it doesn't work.

I never had a problem getting that plastic line to go back in (when I still had it, before the SC) but I guess it's possible. fyi though all you need is some type of vacuum tight line there. If the plastic line doesn't want to cooperate, you can cut out a middle section of it and put a rubber hose there instead so it's flexible. If the part thats going into the UIM is loose though you might want to get another one. The other side attaches to the EVAP solenoid I believe, and you need a tight seal at all three connection so you don't have any vacuum leaks or you'll probably get a SES light.