Ets [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ets

guodf
08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Am, my daughter experienced a problem where she was making a left turn and the ETS came on and jolted her pretty good. She got scared and called me cause she did not know what to do I told her to turn hit the ETS button and turn off the enhanced tracking system she tried and it would not go off. By the time I got there I was able to turn off the ETS and we were on our way. With that said she drove it for a couple more days and the same thing happend, what would cause this to happen? Is this a transmission problem or a short?

angrysk8r
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
explain that again...the ets should always be on unless you turn it off

what kind of jolt are you talking about?

PhantomLover007
08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
More than likely, if one of the wheels lost traction or the turn was made kinda quickly, the ETS would kick in. I've had that happen to me a few times. The jolt was probably from ALL the tires gaining grip again.

guodf
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
It felt like the transmission more than the tires, it happened to me once when I accidentally hit the button. In her case it came on after the left turn, the roads were not wet and it was about 75 degrees out side don't see how she could have lost traction, then out of the blue a few days later it happened again this time she was not turning.

Lab Rat
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I get a LOW TRAC light often going around turns, going over bumps, anything that causes a loss of traction. But I too now have the low trac light on. Been on and off for 2 weeks now. Got some advice on the other forum. Suggested a bad front O2 sensor may cause the light. Haven't had the 80 bux to spend lately but will soon. I will let you know if that fixes it.

guodf
08-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I am not a mechanic, where is the O2 sensor located?

Lab Rat
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
In the exhaust pipe ahead of your catalytic converter. There's also a special socket that's
used to get it off. I think they were 4 bux at autozone.
I would hate to see you waste money if it does not fix it but I am about to start throwing money at the beast to get it fixed. I understand they should be replaced at 100000 miles so I am a little overdue at 143000.
Shop cost should be about an hour if you do not change it yourself.

angrysk8r
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
uhh a bad o2 sensor won't cause that...more like a bad wheel speed sensor located in the hubs of the front wheels

guodf
08-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I did not think the O2 sensor would fix the problem I always thought the O2 sensor had to do something with smog thing but again I am not a mechanic. So if it's the speed sensor what does it look like and is it easy to replace? Is there 1 in each hub?

Lab Rat
08-05-2008, 01:48 PM
sorry, I guess I fail at diagnosis

surreal_awakeni
08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
The wheel speed sensors are part of the hub/bearing assemblies. It requires removing the front wheels, removing the large axle nut, pressing out the axle, removing 3 or 4 bolts that hold the bearing assembly to the knuckle, then reverse it to reinstall. They can be pricey, depends on where you get them.

angrysk8r
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I did not think the O2 sensor would fix the problem I always thought the O2 sensor had to do something with smog thing but again I am not a mechanic. So if it's the speed sensor what does it look like and is it easy to replace? Is there 1 in each hub?

iirc unfortunately you will have to replace the entire hub assemblies because for whatever reason you can't replace just the sensor, there is 1 sensor to each hub

before you do that however, did you notice if the abs light was on while you experienced those symptoms? if not the wheel speed sensors may not be the problem

what is odd however, is that you felt anything at all when you hit the ets button, you shouldn't be able to notice it at all unless you start hitting the throttle when you have no traction

guodf
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, I will keep an eye on it and see what happens I may have to take it in, maybe there's a failure code on the computer that I don't know about.