question on S/C modification [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : question on S/C modification

CantBeatIt96
08-05-2008, 10:35 PM
few question on some things i dont see much for an S/C, like different mods to the actual S/C

1) can i add an intercooller instead of giving it a cone filter or would that be to much forced ait to the S/C.

2)could i have it ported/polished, would that give me some more Hp then just bolting it on.

3) would it be better(if ? #1 doesnt work) to put the cone filter in the engine bay area, or run it down like an actual CAI.

AaronGTR
08-05-2008, 10:49 PM
few question on some things i dont see much for an S/C, like different mods to the actual S/C

1) can i add an intercooller instead of giving it a cone filter or would that be to much forced ait to the S/C.

If you can find room for it and a way to route all the piping for it, you can always add an intercooler. What does that have to do with adding a cone filter or not though? The intercooler goes [u]after[/] the SC and the filter goes before it. What king of filter you use has nothing to do with adding an intercooler or not.

2)could i have it ported/polished, would that give me some more Hp then just bolting it on.

Yes, some super chargers can be ported depending on the design and type of blower it is. The gains aren't usually a lot though, and it's NOT something you want to attempt yourself. It has to be ported by someone who knows what they're doing or you'll just end up with a nice paper weight.

3) would it be better(if ? #1 doesnt work) to put the cone filter in the engine bay area, or run it down like an actual CAI.

It's always always always better to put the intake inlet somewhere it will get colder air instead of in the engine bay. It's even more important for any type of forced induction compared to an NA engine. That's because compression makes heat, and the outlet temperature of a blower does not rise proportionally with the inlet temperature. It rises exponentially. Meaning the warmer the air going into the blower is, the greater the heat differential is when it comes out.

Even if you have an intercooler this is true, because the intercooler will still work more efficiently and cool the air down to a lower temp if the air coming out of the blower is cooler.

CantBeatIt96
08-05-2008, 11:01 PM
i want sure if the interdcooler would be to muc h air for it. i didnt think it would be to much didnt think that would be possible to have to much air in an S/C, but just htought id ask.

really stupid question i know, i dont think it is possible but, i know the blow off valves are for releasing compressed air in the pipein, but i would need that ifi get the intercoller right. id like to have that slight "sneezing" sound. i luv that sound but i figure it wont work.

AaronGTR
08-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Uh, no.... BOV's are only for turbo's and sometimes centrifugal blowers. They are only there to release pressure when the throttle plate closes and your turbo is still spooled up and making boost. Otherwise when the throttle closes and the air stops moving and has no where to go it will make your turbo want to slam to a stop which is very very bad for it. Basically if you have a roots blower you have no need for a BOV because the throttle body is before the blower, not after.

Also, the intercooler (being BEHIND the blower remember) does not affect the amount of air going into the blower. The blower only sucks in the amount of air that it will suck in based on the size pulley on it and it's rotation speed. After it compresses and heats the air it spits it into the intercooler where it is cooled off to make a denser air charge. The amount of air does not change. Only the temperature and a slight compression drop after the intercooler.

PS. All these things I'm answering should be basic knowledge about how different boost systems work on cars and should be known by anyone considering boosting their car. If you don't know this stuff, you really should take the time to get a book on it and read up before you buy a SC or turbo so you know what you're getting into. I recommend anything by Corky Bell.

Shock24Z
08-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Yes, some super chargers can be ported depending on the design and type of blower it is. The gains aren't usually a lot though, and it's NOT something you want to attempt yourself. It has to be ported by someone who knows what they're doing or you'll just end up with a nice paper weight.

Us m90 guys get away with it.

Clueless people have made paperweights though.

CantBeatIt96
08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
loll ill see waht i can do. but i figured the BOV will not work. but i figured id ask. i thought it be funny to have a BOV on a S/C, that way i can have the "sneeze". lol. but i didnt think it would work. i figured there only for turbos but i thought id ask.

AaronGTR
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Us m90 guys get away with it.

Clueless people have made paperweights though.

Most people I would say wouldn't do a good job of it. I wouldn't try it myself. The outlet especially needs to stay a certain shape and can only be enlarged so much before the flow is actually hurt instead of improved. It requires flow testing to determine the best shape and size. Unless I had a pattern to copy off of from a major SC supplier/modifier, I'd leave it be. That's why I've never done my M62.

CantBeatIt96
08-06-2008, 10:50 PM
well it was worth the question i guess. just kinda came to mind.