painting technique?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : painting technique??

gtdreams
08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Well,i have my twin post mirrors.They are the aftermarket ones,and used a bit.I could not find KRYLON paint,so i got duplicolor trim paint for mirrors etc,etc.It is like a satin black kinda color,it should look ok,i hope.Now the question is....is there any tips anybody can give as far as preparing them,should i lay them flat,try to hang em up somehow??I was wondering how some of you guys have painted them.If the paint is satin black,you think i should put clear over them or leave them afterwards.My local body shop wanted 125 bucks plus taxes to spray them.lol.Thanks,oh yeah,i had done a search but could not find anything as far as applying the paint is concerned.If i missed that i am sorry.:crying:lol

Jake
08-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I did mine about a month ago. Just scuffed them up really really good with a scuff pad. Taped off the mirror, hung each one by a coat hanger in my garage, sprayed 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear, they came out perfect :) Def put a few coats of clear on them.

gtdreams
08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Cool,thanks.I was at walmart today and i spotted some KRYLON fusion gloss black .I wonder if i should use the duplicolor black trim paint which is specifically for trim and mirrors and stuff,or the KRYLON fusion,which alot of people seem to go for.Plus it says it bonds to plastic.... I think i will test some of each on something and see.I have duplicolor clear gloss for whatever i end up using.Man,i cannot wait to get those ugly mickey mouse ears off !!!:thumbs:Thanks again guys.

tenspeed
08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I wash the plastic pieces down with dish soap to get the dirt and grease off. Just before painting, I wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol. Keep your fingers off the surfaces to be painted.

Using clear will give them a shine so that satin black will look like glossy black.

When I painted my mirrors, I set up a clear plastic box on a piece of cardboard. When the piece was painted, it was put into the box to dry. It was about 160* in there and it kept the dust and bugs off.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26401&d=1213801831

gtdreams
08-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow,nice custom job!!Thanks for the advice,i picked up some krylon but i will test out both paints.I cant freakin wait.lol.Yeah,the box is a good idea,when i tinted my tails once,they dried and had a few dust specs in them .lol.And a hair or 2.