Urgent help needed: Key fob failure [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed: Key fob failure

Cliff
08-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Hello ALL!!

My car is currently parked @ a train station bc I cannot disable the alarm system. The buttons on my Key FOB are unresponsive, even after replacing the battery. I lost my backup years ago. The dealership said using the key in the door will disable the security system and that I will be able to start my car. I went to try that and it DID NOT WORK. The alarm kept roaring away and obviously I can't start the car.

The dealership told me its $260 plus whatever it'll take to tow there to get a new Key Fob. Is there a way to disable the alarm system with my current keys? Do I really need to get it towed to a dealership in order to get a new Key Fob? I dont understand why it would stop working, then even with a new battery still not work. Is there something blocking the signal from reaching the car?

heeelppppp

Many thanks,
Cliff

cardude007617
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
i didnt know we even had alarms on our cars from the factory.....

Cliff
08-08-2008, 10:41 PM
????

Cliff8928
08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
You must have an aftermarket alarm.. Do you know where the valet switch is?

Cliff
08-09-2008, 01:14 AM
its not an aftermarket alarm, its the security system that comes with the 99 GA GT1.

While its engaged, the engine can not be started.

notsoaveragej0e
08-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Might sound stupid, but did you reset the key fob to sync it with the car? As I recall, you hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until the car chirps once or twice.

notsoaveragej0e
08-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Also, try disconnecting the neg battery terminal and maybe try to "reset" the car... worth a try I suppose.

Mike Jung
08-09-2008, 02:03 AM
i didnt know we even had alarms on our cars from the factory.....
The '99-'05 GAGT did NOT come from the factory stock, with an alarm/security system.

You must have an aftermarket alarm.. Do you know where the valet switch is?
x2

You put the key in the ignition to ON, & hit the valet button/dial in a code, etc...

its not an aftermarket alarm, its the security system that comes with the 99 GA GT1.

While its engaged, the engine can not be started.
WRONG.

Also, try disconnecting the neg battery terminal and maybe try to "reset" the car... worth a try I suppose.
If it is a cheap alarm system.

Put the hood up.
Disconnect the battery.
Pull the alarm fuse.
Reconnect the car battery.
DONE.

If you have a Clifford system: DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT THIS lol
The relays immobilzers are engage when armed; & remain so even with the battery disconnected.
(Don't ask me how I know. A former owner of a Clifford G5-series security system.)

Cliff
08-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Im not sure what you mean, but I absolutely did NOT install an alarm system on my car. And I know every upgrade I have done to this car because I have done them myself.

This car came stock with a keyless entry system that disables the ignition after the LOCK button is pressed on the remote. My Pontiac 99 GA Manual calls it a "Theft Deterrent System". When the key is used to open the Car, A ALARM is set off, and there is no way to start the car. Thus it is quite an Alarm System, and one that came STOCK at that. It is fully explained in my STOCK MANUAL this way. Not sure what the issue is there.

Is there a fuse I can pull that will disable this stock 'Theft Deterrent' system? Any help would be appreciated

KhellendrosxS
08-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Passlock disables the fuel injectors in the event that a foreign object (anything other than your key) is inserted in the key cylinder in an attempt to steal the car. Passlock only works in this way and has nothing to do with whether your doors are locked or unlocked.

If you turn the key and the red "Security" light comes on and stays lit after the other lights go out leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes and when it goes off turn the key back off for about 5 seconds and then try to start the car.

The stock key fobs are not alarm arming systems FYI nor does your car have any type of alarm that would cause the car to "go off" unless its aftermarket.

There is a way to disable Passlock but it involves taking off some parts and clipping a wire, you should do a search for the exact procedure. However, after you cut the wire Passlock will no longer work which would allow anyone with something jammed in your ignition to start the car and the "Security" light will always be on.

Cliff
08-09-2008, 11:23 AM
ok I will try that for sure!! Thanks so much!!

If there is no alarm system/security system in my car, how come when the car alarm is going off and I go to start the car, the car won't start? It's always been this way since I have purchased the car. If the alarm is set off, then the ignition does nothing when turned. It just sounds crazy to me that this isn't a security system --

Just to verify, I have the same stock key fob that everyone else has:

http://i22.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/fc/73/a277_1.JPG

KhellendrosxS
08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Did you buy this car brand new? And what do you mean by an alarm going off? Factory GA's do NOT come with any type of alarm/security.

Does the horn honk or is there a siren of some sort? I would guess that someone had an alarm installed...because I have NEVER heard of any type of problem like this.

Cliff
08-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I bought this car brand new from the dealership and it has had this alarm system from day one. A serious of sirens goes off once the door is opened. Turning the key in the ignition at this point does not start the engine.

If i remove the neg battery terminal for 10 mins will it reset its self? If so, what size socket do i need to remove the terminals because an adjustable wrench just isnt enough bc they are on so tight.

hass
08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Silly question, but do you still have the invoice or anything since you bought it new?
Like that sheet that lists the MSRP and the gas in big numbers for city/highway.
and all the features, etc...
Maybe they added it on separately in order to get more money for the dealership.
Like installing a cheap alarm system and tagging on an extra 400-500 bucks to make some easy money.
maybe we can figure out what you have.
Unless you look at it of course...

Because like everyone else said, they don't come with an alarm system from factory.
Keyless Entry, optional... But Alarm, no.

edit;
I believe the battery terminal is an 6mm. or 8.. or something.
it's pretty small.
just take a wrench set and try.

AaronGAGT
08-09-2008, 09:14 PM
maybe you got the only Grand Am that has a factory alarm... but I've never heard of this mumbo jumbo

KhellendrosxS
08-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Well my friend, someone has installed an alarm before you bought it and somehow integrated it with the factory fob. As far as I know you are up a river without a paddle until you can figure out what kind of alarm it is.

Mike Jung
08-10-2008, 04:16 AM
ok I will try that for sure!! Thanks so much!!

If there is no alarm system/security system in my car, how come when the car alarm is going off and I go to start the car, the car won't start? It's always been this way since I have purchased the car. If the alarm is set off, then the ignition does nothing when turned. It just sounds crazy to me that this isn't a security system --

Just to verify, I have the same stock key fob that everyone else has:

http://i22.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/fc/73/a277_1.JPG
This is an dealer optional add on.

It is available to order through GM parts/accssories catalog.

So the dealer never included the GM alarm system manual ?
The dealer that you bought it from, doesn't know how to put it into valet mode ?

It is nothing special in terms of an alarm system.

There is a fuse for it somewhere...but I am not sure where they tapped it into a fuse box.
Silly question, but do you still have the invoice or anything since you bought it new?
Like that sheet that lists the MSRP and the gas in big numbers for city/highway.
and all the features, etc...
Maybe they added it on separately in order to get more money for the dealership.
Like installing a cheap alarm system and tagging on an extra 400-500 bucks to make some easy money.
maybe we can figure out what you have.
Unless you look at it of course...

Because like everyone else said, they don't come with an alarm system from factory.
Keyless Entry, optional... But Alarm, no.

edit;
I believe the battery terminal is an 6mm. or 8.. or something.
it's pretty small.
just take a wrench set and try.
You hit it right on the head.

Dealer installed special, on a new car.
Kind of like the window etching system; that some dealers offer (meaning the windows are etched with a reference security #, before you even buy your car. & they add the cost/"benefit" to the bill for you).
Something for the dealer to make some more money on.

IIRC, it is a 5/32" socket for the battery terminal.

Y2KGA
08-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Go to an auto parts store and you can test that the remote actually works. Its usually by the counter and it tests that the fob battery has enough strength to transmit.

You can try getting a replacement fob and program it yourself. You do not need the dealer to do it. Do a search for RKE programming instructions.

Cliff
08-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I just replaced the battery on the FOB, so im sure its just plain broken. But if its the receiver thats faulty on the car then visiting an auto parts store to find out might be a great idea!! :)

I just bought this FOB on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=025&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=380052060755&rd=1

Searched the forum for RKE programming instructions and didnt come up with anything...Is it a particular thread that you are thinking of?

Thanks Much!

Y2KGA
08-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Try this site.

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic61057.htm

This is worked with my 2000 GA.

Mike Jung
08-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Umm...Heads up!

For a '99 GA:
IIRC, Only someone with a GM Tech II Scan Tool (like a GM Dealer) can access the programing in the car to accept the remote(s).
Make sure you have all the remotes that you want active, when programming.
Because it will wipe out any older remotes that were on there.

Y2KGA
08-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Umm...Heads up!

For a '99 GA:
IIRC, Only someone with a GM Tech II Scan Tool (like a GM Dealer) can access the programing in the car to accept the remote(s).
Make sure you have all the remotes that you want active, when programming.
Because it will wipe out any older remotes that were on there.

I was able to add an additional RKE remote to my 2000 GA without a tech II. IIRC the part numbers of the remotes changed in 2001 and require a tech II to add to car.

hass
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM

you mean I was actually right for once?
Whoa.. that never happens. lol ;\

Cliff
08-11-2008, 12:29 AM
I was able to add an additional RKE remote to my 2000 GA without a tech II. IIRC the part numbers of the remotes changed in 2001 and require a tech II to add to car.

So just the 2001 needs the Tech II? I am going to try your method tomorrow on my '99! FINGERS ARE CROSSED

Cliff

Y2KGA
08-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Read this thread The instructions are different from the ones I gave you previously but are the ones I used. Good Luck

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8260

gectek
08-11-2008, 08:37 AM
This is an dealer optional add on.

It is available to order through GM parts/accssories catalog.

So the dealer never included the GM alarm system manual ?
The dealer that you bought it from, doesn't know how to put it into valet mode ?

It is nothing special in terms of an alarm system.

There is a fuse for it somewhere...but I am not sure where they tapped it into a fuse box.

Dealer installed special, on a new car.
Kind of like the window etching system; that some dealers offer (meaning the windows are etched with a reference security #, before you even buy your car. & they add the cost/"benefit" to the bill for you).
Something for the dealer to make some more money on.

IIRC, it is a 5/32" socket for the battery terminal.

wait a minute...mike is wrong...it is not a 5/32nd it is a 5/16 or an 8mm....they are so close either will do the job