hole in the block 3400 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : hole in the block 3400

john_V63400
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I once had a little tiny K&N air filter connected via tube but it broke.

Now I have a hole in the rear side of my block above my headers below my intake plenum, it sucks in air, so is this a vacuum line hole? If so where does it connect. Reason is Im trying to pass smog and they said that needs to be fixed, I went to a GM parts place and they couldnt find it on thier diagrams. So Im wondering what to do here. Its threaded and will accept a rubber groumet of some sort, but I need to know what size to buy and where to conect it. If I find out what it is I can find out what part it is faster than just guessing here.

Im buttening up alot of loose ends my mechanic didnt do, and I need to get it CA legal. SO any help is much apreciated, I already found the whole manifold set I needed so bad. I have the cat, but I need to get the EGR tube, and fiquere out my vacuume lines and make sure thier proper.

I could much apreciate any diagrams for the vacuum set up if anyone has one,

Cliff8928
08-12-2008, 11:49 PM
You mean in the rear valve cover? The PCV tube that would go to the intake....

john_V63400
08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh ok thats prolly it. yeah its in the valve cover not the block. Thanks. Does any one know what size rubber gromet I need?

gectek
08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
on the back valve cover...there is no grommet, it takes rubber ended hard plastic vacuum hose...i can get you a pn if you need it from gm...

AaronGTR
08-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Yep, thats the PCV intake line. It's a plastic hard line that plugs into the rear valve cover. On the stock setup it is supposed to go to the rubber tube that connects your air box to the throttle body. If you have a CAI it should be inserted somewhere behind the MAF sensor.

john_V63400
08-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Awsome thanks, can you please get me that P/N that would be awsome. Dang I would apreciated

Wubby{Beat
08-14-2008, 05:20 AM
its quite cheap at the dealer, I broke mine and paid like 10bux for the tube (lots for a tube but atleast its not more lol), its everything you need to bring it to the rubber elbow, will still need the PCV valve and elbow

gectek
08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
umm there is no pcv valve on the back cover...
part no is......24508186
i have 2 in stock here...gonna run you $5.52 plus shipping if you want it...so like $10

john_V63400
08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
And thats the groumet hard plastic threaded thingy that plugs into the back of valve cover so you an route your vacum hose to the intake after the MAF

stewartfn18
08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
correct

AaronGTR
08-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I actually ditched the plastic elbow thingy 'cause it it kept falling out on me. Maybe a new one would fit tighter. I had my valve cover off anyway so I just got an aluminum -AN fitting and screwed it into the hole. Had to trim it a little so it would go in all the way and fit under the ignition module. Then I sealed it up with some JB weld so it's air tight and rock solid! :)

gectek
08-15-2008, 07:17 AM
I actually ditched the plastic elbow thingy 'cause it it kept falling out on me. Maybe a new one would fit tighter. I had my valve cover off anyway so I just got an aluminum -AN fitting and screwed it into the hole. Had to trim it a little so it would go in all the way and fit under the ignition module. Then I sealed it up with some JB weld so it's air tight and rock solid! :)

wouldnt RTV have been a little easier option???? jb is a little too permanent for my taste

john_V63400
08-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Yeah thats what happen to mine, it fell out somewhere along the line, never knew where it originaly hooked up due to after market parts. I think i will re-inforce it with RTV

AaronGTR
08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
wouldnt RTV have been a little easier option???? jb is a little too permanent for my taste

Thats the point. I wanted it in there permanently. There's no reason I'd ever need to take it out.

ss88
09-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Two questions:
1) What is that tube called that goes to the rear bank thats so conveniently located underneath the coil pack?
2) Does anyone else have trouble with theirs staying in the seat? Shouldn't it be a good snug fit? Mine comes out all the time....

AaronGTR
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
That is the pcv intake tube. The little 90 degree fitting is supposed to stay in the rear valve cover, but they aren't that tight a fit and are known to come out. You can try putting a little RTV sealer around it and pushing it in to see if that will hold it after it dries. Spray the end with brake cleaner first though to clean it off or the RTV won't stick.

ss88
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Okay, I thought that some of you may of been talking about the tube that went to front bank w/ the pcv valve, and just wanted to clarify.
I've noticed that this has been popping out for over a year that I've had this vehicle.
But just recently, I've been getting a SES light (442). I changed the pcv valve and grommet along with the gas cap. I'm trying to take care or the cheap electives first. Has this tube ever been know to throw that code?

AaronGTR
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Okay, I thought that some of you may of been talking about the tube that went to front bank w/ the pcv valve, and just wanted to clarify.
I've noticed that this has been popping out for over a year that I've had this vehicle.
But just recently, I've been getting a SES light (442). I changed the pcv valve and grommet along with the gas cap. I'm trying to take care or the cheap electives first. Has this tube ever been know to throw that code?

Nope, they wouldn't have anything at all to do with that code. P0442 is EVAP system small leak detected. According to the manual the EVAP system includes: the fuel tank, the evap vent valve, the evap canister purge valve, the evap canister, the fuel pipes and hoses, the evap vapor and purge pipes, the evap fresh air vent hose, and the fuel fill cap.

The most common cause for that code is either the gas cap isn't tightened enough, or it's bad and won't seal properly. Since you said you've replaced it already, it must be something else. I'd check the EVAP solenoid and lines (attached to the upper intake manifold to the right of the throttle body) and see if any of them are melted or loose. Everything else on that list is under the car.

ss88
09-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Whats the point of DTCs if you have eight possibilities?
Thanks, I'll have to try that. Since this light has been on, I've been monitoring my gas milage, and its been pretty good. I'm still getting about 27-28 HW, so I wouldn't think its an actual leak in the tank or line.

AaronGTR
09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Whats the point of DTCs if you have eight possibilities?
Thanks, I'll have to try that. Since this light has been on, I've been monitoring my gas milage, and its been pretty good. I'm still getting about 27-28 HW, so I wouldn't think its an actual leak in the tank or line.

There's a lot of things that go into making an engine run these days. ;) They can't have a sensor on every part... you know how many that would be? And how much weight and cost it would add and how much computing power it would take? The DTC's are only there to help point you in the right direction for what system has the problem, not the specific part. You still have to have an understanding of the operation and purpose of the parts in the system. :) The DTC's still are a tremendous help though by reducing the amount of trial and error elimination you have to do.

gectek
09-12-2008, 09:37 PM
the actual inception of the DTC was all about emissions...the fed government made them use complex routines and sensors of the times to cut down on emissions. A DTC would only show when there was something wrong with the engine that would either effect the catalytic converter, or the actual emissions output of the engine. That is why when your engine has a massive misfire the SES light will flash, that means that whatever is going on will be extremely bad on the cat and could possibly damage it irrepairably....it wasnt there originally to just say hey stupid you have a misfire. cuz those can break the catalytic material and then poof there go the federal emissions standards. why do you think you have a post cat O2 sensor...id doesnt do anything but tell you if the cat/sensor is bad...has nothing else to do. Then the automakers found that they could use this federal intrusion to their advantage...bringing about drive by wire ultimately...which is the dumbest thing in the world...if i want to go WOT i sure as hell dont want a computer telling me i cant. plus its not even like a new style joy stick...no forced feedback. it just mashes right to the ground with no resistance. now the cars are heavier due to all the modules, sensors AND the wiring...all those miles of it. The funny thing is, before i set it down and even put gears in it it was faster then than the unlocked 06 3900 Bu SS that i am driving now is...sad huh

ss88
09-13-2008, 10:20 PM
the actual inception of the DTC was all about emissions...the fed government made them use complex routines and sensors of the times to cut down on emissions.

Yeah, when would the federal government or auto makers do anything to actually help us?

A little off the subject: does anyone know anything about hydrogen generators? Makeing them, using them, etc.?