cruise control not working? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : cruise control not working?

99blackgagt
08-12-2008, 10:48 PM
My cruise control was working fine and just a few months ago the light stopped turning on when i turned switch on and cruise will not work....checked all fuses in passenger side fuse box...3 of them all fine and i also replaced the module that mounts on the bottom of the steering wheel new buttons and all still wont turn on so it must be wiring or???....anything i'm missing? anyone had similar problems? thanks!

plastic_indian
08-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Before delving in -- any other seemingly unrelated problems? Cruise will be disabled if, say, the 'low brake fluid' indicator is lit, certain DTCs are set (ck eng light on?), or park brake is reported as engaged ('brake' indicator lit?) Speedo working normally?

99blackgagt
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
well, my air bag light comes on every now and then and my mechanic told me that has nothing to do with cruise problems, my check engine light had been on some but was told that was because of a small air leak in top of gas tank where you fill it.....brake fluid is fine no indicator....park brake is off....and speedometer works perfectly fine....i dont understand this....i replaced the buttons on the steering wheel and today i replaced the cruise control module in the engine you just hook the accelerator cable up and plug in the power, still nothing.....HELP please

99blackgagt
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
the lights inside the cruise buttons are on except for the LED....when i press the ON/OFF button in to turn it on it doesnt turn on.....lights will also not come sometimes at all

gectek
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
prob a bad clock spring...that would give the air bag light sometimes and would also make for no connection on the cruise....i have a spare clockspring if you wanna buy it $50 shipped

the clockspring is the rotating electrical connection from the steering wheel to the rest of the car...does your steering wheel have the radio controls on it?

Lab Rat
08-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Look down by your brake pedel. There are 2 switches there. If the CC disable switch has been moved or come out of adjustment it MAY be causing your problem. Would hate to see you have to fight the clockspring until you know for sure that is the problem.

You should be able to see if it is making contact with your foot off the brake. If so just pull it out a little, it will "click" as you adjust it. Good luck. Hope this helps.

gectek
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
the light would still come on though on the on/off switch whether or not the cc inhibit switch is pushed...my cruise switch stays on all the time, its easier like that, then i dont have to always push it to turn the cruise on then hit cruise to enable it.

99blackgagt
08-13-2008, 02:25 PM
yeah my LED light wont turn on at all and the lights inside the buttons come on like every other time....could there be a short in the wire? like i said all fuses good and cables and wires seem normal, its just not getting power to the switch to turn it on, i dont know what to do :(

99blackgagt
08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
my steering wheel doesnt have the radio controls, just the three cruise buttons

gectek
08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
yeah my LED light wont turn on at all and the lights inside the buttons come on like every other time....could there be a short in the wire? like i said all fuses good and cables and wires seem normal, its just not getting power to the switch to turn it on, i dont know what to do :(

yah could be, it is very likely i think...my clock spring will work with ur vehicle then...

99blackgagt
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
well 50 bucks is pretty expensive I am going to a junk yard tomorrow near me that has like 10 GA's and they let me go out in the yard and pull whatever i need....and they all have steering columns and S.I.R springs

gectek
08-15-2008, 07:16 AM
$50 is not expensive when the new ones are like $120...good luck too, youll need a t30 torx that is fairly long to get to the back side bolts on the steering wheel then you gotta pull the steering wheel...then you gotta pull the gauge cluster off to get to the wiring...i was only going to save you 1/2 the trouble

2000 GT Coupe
02-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Did you ever find out what the problem with the cruise was?
I changed out tails, LED's and now my cruise does not work I think its related anyone got a fix?

bricooper78
11-21-2010, 06:07 PM
;oldpost:

So, I just switched to LED tails.. my on/off light will come on, and I have no cruise.

Did anyone ever find anything on this theory??? No SES/SVS light, nothing is different, everything is just as normal as ever, the tails are the only change, and I get no cruise now. Odd.

I see nothing aside of this thread that mentioned that, so I'm guessing we never got an answer huh?

2001gt
01-01-2014, 01:36 PM
i kind of have this problem too. one day my cruise was working just fine, then i noticed i left the button on and switched it off then switched it back on to use it and nothing. a friend and i started playing around with the module and did a wiggle test on the connections and then it worked for just a few seconds. tried to test power to the switch but that pos plastic cover pissed me off too much enough to where i broke off my steering wheel tilt handle. im just wondering if i should just replace the module. i have radio controls on my steering wheel as well. no ses/svs lights as well

2000 GT Coupe
01-01-2014, 03:09 PM
In my case it turned out to be connected with the led tails and 3rd brake, it needed some resistance to tell the control module to enable cruise.