intake manifold upgrade [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold upgrade

ncarnegis
08-13-2008, 12:27 AM
so i'm new to the forum, i've been searching around this forum alot and learning a ton about grand ams.

i just gotta 00 gt about a month ago and i got anti freeze leaking and pooling up in my engine, but not mixing into my oil (fortunately) yet. pretty sure its the LIM gasket like many others of you have been cursed with.

so in my research to fix this problem, i stumbled across the milzy website and found the upper and lower intakes with gaskets for $300, and $150 core charge. i know i'm a rookie w/ engine tuning so i'm trying to get help from all you GA gurus, is this a good solution to my problem?

alerored04
08-13-2008, 12:47 AM
The solution to your problem is a $50 gasket. The manifolds are fine, just the gasket that needs to be replaced. If you are after a horsepower gain those manifolds will work well and now would be the time to change them and fix your problem at the same time but your stock manifolds are not the source of the issue, just the gasket. If you are looking for performance parts I highly recommend wotech.com. Nothing against milzy but ben at wot is top notch and has earned my praise.

gectek
08-13-2008, 08:22 AM
^^^werd...ben for teh winzzzz

black05GT
08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
^^ - you can check out Ben's quality equipment here:
http://wot-tech.com/shop/

ncarnegis
08-14-2008, 02:08 AM
cool, so bout how much would i be lookin to pay to have that installed cuz idk if i got enough knowledge of the 3400 engine to do it myself

lvemy3100
08-14-2008, 05:40 AM
^^^werd...ben for teh winzzzz

i knew there was a reason i carried his parts .. lol

OP- if you are willing to travel we (MP Racing) can do the install for you (pm me for details) ;)

hass
08-14-2008, 11:57 PM
OP- if you are willing to travel we (MP Racing) can do the install for you (pm me for details) ;)
^^

It's not actually that hard to replace the gaskets if you have a little knowledge and a set of tools. walkthroughs are posted all over, and VERY in depth.
I never really did much work on cars before, but I have a ton of tools because of my father.
I managed to do it... It took three evenings worked 4-5 hours a day... but it got done.
also had to get the heads resurfaced as well heads as well. So I guess 4 evenings total. Still was WAY cheaper than the shop.
Shops will be $600 and up for a LIM repair. (that's a low figure for it imo from what i've been quoted)
think it's 6 hrs labor they charge usually.

ncarnegis
08-17-2008, 01:42 PM
ok so if i do it myself i wanna do it right, is there an improved gasket out there now that wont have this same problem again that i should ask for when i'm getting parts?
and this probly needs to be fixed before the nasty cold winter, right?

bigstribs
08-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Ya go to Ben or Mark

hass
08-17-2008, 05:51 PM
yeah, there's an improved fel-pro gasket set that you can get.
there's about a frillion topics on it, and i don't know the PN off hand.
just look in the how to section.

gectek
08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
well the LIM is the felpro MS98003T for the problem solver gasket set...they are the best ones out there...they are designed to not leak anymore...